Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Display on to apple tv in closed clamshell mode?

Hi Can anyone help me?

When I AirPlay my MacBook pro display to my apple tv, all is fine.

However when I close the lid, (clamshell ) with mains connected, my display drops out and turns off AirPlay on my MacBook pro?

Any ideas please

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), Apple tv 3gen

Posted on Dec 25, 2013 12:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 25, 2013 12:57 PM

Clamshell mode is only applicable when you actually have an external display physically connected to your Machine. Thus, Airplay Mirroring is not supported, natively, by Apple's clamshell mode. There is third party software purported to make this work, however.

NoSleep Extension by Pavel Prokofiev

6 replies

Feb 28, 2015 2:45 PM in response to nbar

I've found that even when I have an external display physically connected to my macbook pro in clamshell mode, I'm still not able to airplay to my apple tv. Well, I can but it just shows a frozen image and I have to reboot my mac by manually powering off. So basically, if I'm happily working in clamshell mode with an external monitor, and then I want to airplay to my apple tv, then I have to open up my macbook pro display and leave clamshell mode first, then turn on airplay. In my experience. It's a bummer having to remember to do that every time, or else your system freezes.

Feb 28, 2015 4:54 PM in response to sanjampet

Yup. I have no issues using an external display in clamshell mode. It's only when I try to airplay to my apple tv while in this clamshell mode that I run into problems. So to clarify, there are 3 devices in my situation: my macbook, my external monitor, and my apple tv (which is connected to my hdtv of course, so 4 devices). Usually I just use my external monitor with my macbook closed. That works fine. But when I occasionally want to airplay to my apple tv as additional mirrored/extended monitor, I have to open up the macbook first to exit clamshell mode. Otherwise if I just go straight into airplay while still in clamshell mode, my hdtv shows a frozen image, my external monitor goes black and I have no choice but to manually turn off my macbook. Hope that makes sense. I think it would be easier if I could draw a diagram haha.

Feb 28, 2015 11:04 PM in response to sanjampet

Hmm not sure what you mean by "go to system prefs to change the display." What display settings need to be changed there? What will that allow me to do? Right now, like I said my workaround is to just open up the macbook (exit clamshell mode) before activating airplay. This works fine and is not a big deal. But like I said, it's just annoying to have to remember to do that every time.

Display on to apple tv in closed clamshell mode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.