Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the most effective way to consolidate my iTunes library (there appears to be 2-3 separate origins)?

Hello all!,

I've come across a problem regarding the source of my Music files on my MacBook Pro, finding that my fairly large (76 GB) iTunes library is made up of files from a large range of locations. I've had this Macbook for ~3 years now & have never necessarily worried about the amount of audio on the harddrive. As I noted, I have 76GB of music on iTunes, but the "Audio" section of my harddrive is 215GB. Based on looking at the iTunes/iTunes Media section of my files I've come to the conclusion that my process of finding and adding music to my library has resulted in a large amount of duplicates and/or multiple locations.

I began by going through and deleting unwanted songs from my library, to see the effect it would have on the overall "Audio" on my harddrive. This didn't do much, leaving me with a ~54GB iTunes library, but a recorded 191.4GB of audio on my harddrive. It appears that the "Music" sub-folder of "iTunes Media" is a duplicated, older version of my iTunes library but I'm weary about deleting it in fear that the songs sources will end up "broken" and they won't play or sync.

I've browsed other questions and found scripts for similar situations but I'm not sure exactly how to go about using them, or if they're necessary/correct for this situation. What is the suggested manner for organization of music in iTunes? The suspected duplicates folder is located under "Music -> iTunes -> iTunes Media -> Music" and this seems like far too many folders for a library of relative simplicity.

The last question I have is if the albums I download are staying in my "Downloads" folder when adding them to iTunes, creating yet more duplicates (rather than simply being transfered to the iTunes folders)? I'd appreciate any help, hopefully I was clear about the problems I'm facing. The system I've been using works, but I want to get all of my audio files cleaned up properly.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Dec 25, 2013 2:29 PM

1 reply

Dec 25, 2013 5:36 PM in response to randg_

"Audio" is more than just your iTunes files. Audio files for other apps (like Garageband, Office or Roxio Toast) can add to the overall size of "Audio".

The iTunes Media folder should be within a few gigs at most, of the size of what your Library shows. It won't be exact because iTunes uses binary calculation to determine size and Finder uses Decimal. (1024mb vs 1000mb for a gigabyte)

My iTunes library is 168Gb in iTunes - the files are 191Gb in FInder.

Your iTunes files should be in [user]Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/ by default, but you can choose ANY ONE location, on an internal or external hard drive, as long as iTunes is properly pointed to it as your Library. The Library files (.itl, .xml, .itdb, and artwork) should still remain in the default location.

What is the most effective way to consolidate my iTunes library (there appears to be 2-3 separate origins)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.