Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I include external hard drives into Time Capsule backups?

I bought an AirPort Time Capsule and would like to back up all of my music which is on an external hard drive. The hard drive's name is gray when it appears in the options menu so I cannot exclude it from the list of things to exclude (in other words, I can't inlcude it.)

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), MacBook, iMac, iPhone, iPod, iPhone

Posted on Dec 25, 2013 6:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 25, 2013 8:58 PM

A grayed out drive name indicates that the drive is not formatted in Mac OS Extended (Journaled), which is also known as HFS+.

If the external drive is connected to your Mac, that drive must be formatted in Mac OS Extended (Journaled) for Time Machine to be able to back it up.

Tip....formatting a drive will erase all of the contents on the drive, so you may need to move all of the data on the drive to another temporary location, perform the format operation, then move the data back to the drive.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 25, 2013 8:58 PM in response to pdmeloon

A grayed out drive name indicates that the drive is not formatted in Mac OS Extended (Journaled), which is also known as HFS+.

If the external drive is connected to your Mac, that drive must be formatted in Mac OS Extended (Journaled) for Time Machine to be able to back it up.

Tip....formatting a drive will erase all of the contents on the drive, so you may need to move all of the data on the drive to another temporary location, perform the format operation, then move the data back to the drive.

Dec 26, 2013 6:41 AM in response to pdmeloon

Storing normal data files on the Time Capsule is unfortunately not as easy as dropping the folder on the Time Capsule.

Open up Macintosh HD on the Mac

Look for the SHARED heading on the left

Click on the Time Capsule icon and a folder named "Data" will appear (unless you have renamed it)

Double click the "Data" folder to mount the drive on the desktop. You may need to enter the device password for the Time Capsule when you do this the first time

Once the drive icon is on the desktop, you can drag data to the icon and drop it there. Double click the icon to open up the drive and see the files

How do I include external hard drives into Time Capsule backups?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.