Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to get files back if I emptied the trash?

I've emptied the trash and found that lots of files are still needed. Any way to get them back?

MacBook, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 25, 2013 7:51 PM

33 replies

Apr 11, 2017 1:13 AM in response to G-rrr

The response is;

Mys-MacBook-Pro:~ storedisk$ mv .Trash/FLiCKS .

mv: .Trash/FLiCKS: No such file or directory

Mys-MacBook-Pro:~ storedisk$ mv .Trash/FLiCKS ~

Mys-MacBook-Pro:~ storedisk$ mv .Trash/FLiCKS $HOME

Would that mean that it is gone?

This is the article that I was using to try in the first place;
http://www.wikihow.com/Recover-Accidentally-Deleted-Files-in-OS-X

Dec 25, 2013 8:16 PM in response to David L Heath

If you have backups (as you should), restore the files from the last backup that contains them.

If you don't have backups, you might be able to recover some of the files if their space has not been reused. The most important thing is to STOP using the computer, as every minute of use could be writing over the files you want. Don't install software, read mail or web pages, or do much of anything. Take the computer to a skilled data recovery technician. (I'm assuming if you knew how to do it yourself, you would not be asking the question.)

Jan 3, 2014 8:10 PM in response to David L Heath

Yes it is possible but one thing you should make sure is that you cannot put anything new on the drive where your lost files were stored before.

The trash is only a place which shows you the files you deleted from the drive. This deleted file is just being shown on the trash and reminds you just deleted it. Actually you can restore it.

If you emptied the trash, the deleted file is still being recovered because you delete a file, the file itself still remains on the drive, the thing you “deleted” is just the space of it. The computer operating system is just free up the space of this file so that the new file can be put on the drive. So remember this, after file deletion is happened, don’t put any new files on the drive which the lost files were stored before ’cause this will lead to data overwritten situation. Once this happens, you will lose the chance for lost file rescue.

Jan 3, 2014 8:24 PM in response to David L Heath

I recommend you two ways.

One is the repair store. You can choose the professional repair store around you, but this kind of solution is a little bit expensive and take you lots of time. Moreover, if you got some private info which is stored on your Mac, you'd better choose the other way I mention below.

The next way is chooseing some data recovery programs. Such as the freeware Recuver, but it cannot make sure your files can be back to you. If I were you, I suggest you to have a try this software: Data Recovery for Mac, it can help you to get back your files even the emptying trash situation. Here is an example article for solving your problem, may it can help you a lot, just view it. http://www.uflysoft.com/data-recovery-mac/recover-deleted-files-from-trash.html

Hope it can help.

How to get files back if I emptied the trash?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.