Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iMac won't play a DVD, since I upgraded to Mavericks

Our iMac won't play DVDs since I upgraded to Mavericks. I put a DVD in & 30 seconds or so later, the iMac spits the DVD out. The computer reads & plays music CDs fine. I made sure I was loading a DVD, not Bluray. The settings are for DVD player to start when a DVD is loaded. Everything else appears to be working fine. Thanks for any ideas/assistance.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 25, 2013 8:07 PM

11 replies

Dec 27, 2013 2:02 AM in response to cameronlees

I have the same issue!!

I have a late 2009 iMac 27 3.06 GHz Core duo with standard 4GB 1067MHz RAM.

Tried everything, even a re-install of Mavericks. However I haven't gone the track of Formating and Re-installing but that maybe an option.

I have also noticed that Mavericks has slowed my Mac down significantly and have started purging my HDD of all old files and considering removing it to see it that helps.

The HDD was replaced under the exchange program and now unfortunately my Apple Care has run out :-(.

Think there maybe a bug in the prog as this is the first time I have had any real issues in my Mac life.

Any more suggestions peeps would be greatly accepted.... especially from our Geniuses!!!!!

Jul 26, 2014 3:51 PM in response to cameronlees

Same deal.

iMac 3.06 27, 16 GB RAM, Mavericks 10.9.4, DVD version 5.8.0

I tried multiple pre-recorded (i.e., "bought as new, in-store or online, from OEM") DVDs, including Star Trek: TNG from any season, several movies from different companies/production years/studios. All are cycled for about 10-30 seconds and then ejected. All discs are pristine, and I carefully checked them with an air duster before inserting them in the slot.

Note that music CDs are accepted and read by the same machine/setup.

<Edited By Host>

Jul 26, 2014 3:21 PM in response to MichelPM

Yes, I did do the PRAM/SMC reset along with some other standard checks such as running "fix disk permissions."

Re: "off topic ranting," it make seem like a rant, and your opinion is valid on that. I hope mine is, too, even if it seems off-topic to you. When (I hope) Apple powers that be and other of the Apple supporters see this, I hope they see that this specific problem is, in some people's minds, connected to the overall idea of quality and intent of a company and its goals. Sometimes the macro is related to the micro.

However, I can see how you took it that way. I'm not trying to offend sensibilities or ruffle feathers with my connecting overall product quality with specific situations. It's my effort to say that there are many of us (and I am speaking of over 1800 employees at a specific educational institution's Div of Info Tech) who feel as I do, and that company intent and policy relates to this issue and many like it.

I have been soap-boxing and supporting Apple since it was a lot tougher to do in the early 90s and onward, and helped many to convert or include to their products. I feel my opinion is valid, as is my connection of one situation to an overall picture.

That being said, thanks for suggesting the resets. I hope our community can figure out this one.

Jul 26, 2014 3:33 PM in response to Likkimon

Do you have a backup/clone of a previous OS to test to see if the optical drive functionality is related to the OS or hardware related?

I am running Mavericks fron an external hard drive and my 2009 iMac's internal optical drive can still read both CDs/DVDs.

There maybe a possibilty that your optical drive's DVD lens maybe dirty or has failed and just coincidence that it failed at the time of the install of Mavericks.

Could try purchasing a commercially available, retail dry brush CD/DVD lens cleaning system disc. These can sometimes revive a malfunctioning optical disc drive.

OR

Shutdown your Mac, try covering a credit card with a microfiber cloth and run it in and out of the optical drive slot a few times to try and clean any dust and dirt inside the drive.

Jul 26, 2014 3:39 PM in response to MichelPM

Great ideas, and I did try using my two other OS setups saved from prior upgrades, being the last two major OS upgrades. Both didn't work in the same manner. Glad I had those saved... that's a very good example of the value of backing up systems, and archiving if one can do so.

Re: cleaning, I did that last month when trying (still unsuccessfully) to burn a DVD. The drive burns CDs of the usual brands I've used, but not DVDs of any brand as of installing Mavericks. I had no other performance issues or anomalies prior to, quite literally, the day of installing Mavericks and subsequent patches to Mavericks.

I think I'll probably end up trying an external DVD drive from OWC or something. If someone has a recommendation for a DVD burner/reader that has a cabling/speed that can play DVD movies, and is also good for burning DVDs, that would solve my problem in this case.

I'm going to have to be very careful in considering future machines and not presume anything.

My iMac won't play a DVD, since I upgraded to Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.