Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where is OS X 10.9 free download?

I have 10.6.8 and can't open 10.9.1 until I have 10.9 which doesn't seem to exist anywhere on Apple as a free download......help?

Thanks

AnnR53

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2008), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 25, 2013 9:36 PM

21 replies

Dec 25, 2013 9:59 PM in response to Barney-15E

And yet 10.9.1 will not open because I do not have 10.9. THAT is the message I get with that download on my computer....so, again, I am searching for 10.9 because apparently THAT is the only way I am going to be able to move up to Mavericks.

So thanks for your responses but I'd already been there and done that and it does not work which is why I am looking for 10.9.

AnnR53

Dec 25, 2013 10:01 PM in response to AnnR53

You are not downloading OS X Mavericks from the correct place.

First of all, remove the OS X 10.9.1 download you did, because you do not need it. Then, open the Mac App Store and download OS X Mavericks. You can only download the full OS X Mavericks installer from the Mac App Store, so this is the version you have to use to upgrade from an older OS X version.

When the download finishes, the OS X Mavericks installer will appear, so follow its steps. The full installer was updated by Apple in order to include OS X 10.9.1, which does not mean that you need OS X Mavericks to install it (it would not make sense)

Dec 25, 2013 10:03 PM in response to nbar

I successfully download Mavericks 10.9.1 and when I try to open it to go through the install I get this Alert Message: This update requires OS X version 10.9. and then the ONLY option I have is to click Close which closes the install operation.....

so now I am looking for Mavericks 10.9.......which does NOT seem to exist as a download on Apple anywhere that I have looked....

AnnR53

Dec 25, 2013 10:05 PM in response to AnnR53

Again: you downloaded OS X 10.9.1 from this website > http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1715 This is the update for OS X Mavericks users, not for users with an older version.

Instead, you need to download OS X Mavericks from the Mac App Store. Although you see it is OS X 10.9.1, Apple updated that installer in order to upgrade your Mac to the most recent OS X Mavericks version, so you do not need to update OS X again after upgrading. See my first comment

Dec 25, 2013 10:10 PM in response to mende1

NO. I downloaded the version from the Mac App Store and THAT is the one that will not open and That is the one that gives me the message about needing OS X 10.9. I hadn't been to the first download site you listed.

So I still DO need 10.9....because the 10.9.1 from the mac app store will not let me proceed.

AnnR53

Dec 25, 2013 10:14 PM in response to AnnR53

Sorry but I do not believe you. OS X Mavericks is available in the Mac App Store in order to be downloaded by users who want to upgrade to OS X Mavericks, and it is not possible that this message shows up unless there's an issue with the Mac App Store.

Open the link above, try to download OS X Mavericks from the Mac App Store and, if you get an error message, take a screenshot of it and upload it here. To take a screenshot, press Command, Shift, 4 and Space keys, and choose the Mac App Store window.

To upload the screenshot here, press the camera button at the top of the reply box

Where is OS X 10.9 free download?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.