Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which is More Powerful: 2013 iMac or Tower Mac Pro?

Hello,

I want to know whether there are any configurations of the silver tower Mac Pro discontinued in 2013 that are more powerful than the current 2013 iMac with maxspecs, and if so what those configurations are. The winning machine needs to be able to handle video editing, rendering, photography, graphic design, gaming, heavy multitasking etc. Overkill is fine: I just want to know what would be the better overkill.

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Dec 26, 2013 12:53 AM

2 replies

Dec 26, 2013 4:56 AM in response to Vinsento

No iMac comes close to the raw power or expansion capabilities of the 12 core discontinued Power Mac. The iMac has thunderbolt, the power Mac has a super drive. The iMac supports 32 gb of ram, although reading these forums not very well, the power Mac 64gb. Better graphics card in the power Mac, internal storage space, ease of user upgrades, all go to the power Mac. Cost goes to the iMac. If I were a SERIOUS power use rid go Power Mac all the way. That said I have a 2009 iMac......love it!

Dec 26, 2013 5:25 AM in response to Vinsento

Vinsento wrote:

I want to know whether there are any configurations of the silver tower Mac Pro discontinued in 2013 that are more powerful than the current 2013 iMac with maxspecs, and if so what those configurations are.

Only the 6 and 12 core models, and only in multi-core aware tasks. Anything involving 1-4 CPU core tasks, RAM, disk access, GPU or USB will be significantly faster in the iMac.

The Mac Pros sold up to late 2013 used 3 year old technology, there is no way around that. If you're considering a 12-core model, the 8-core 2013 Mac Pro will be faster in everything except the most demanding CPU tasks that can use all 12 cores and it will actually be cheaper than the 12-core tower by nearly $1000.

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/compare/138813?baseline=86294

Which is More Powerful: 2013 iMac or Tower Mac Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.