Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M or 780M iMac, which one to choose for PS CS6?

Hi,

I'm planning to buy a new iMac 27", 16MB, 3 TB fusion drive. But for the graphics I don't know (and cannot find) what is best (would be sufficient) for Photoshop CS6 (and Lightroom-5). Would the standard GeForce GTX 775M 2GB be enough for my use or will the GeForce GTX 780M 4GB give a really better performance? It’s not the budget that’s holding me, but sometimes you get too much unused power in your Mac. I use Photoshop and Lightroom for (sometimes extensive) photo editing and not for video or 3D.

Murk

Posted on Dec 26, 2013 4:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2013 4:48 AM

The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M GPU can do the job without any issue, so unless you have to work with a lot of photos with enormous resolutions at the same time, this is the GPU you are looking for. For everything else, you will not get all the performance of the GPU because it is more designed for photo and video editing tasks.

The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M GPU will give you better performance, but if you experience it, do not expect anything enormous because photo editing is not the most stressful task for a GPU like this one. In my opinion, you should go for the first GPU, but it is up to you

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 26, 2013 4:48 AM in response to musch imac

The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M GPU can do the job without any issue, so unless you have to work with a lot of photos with enormous resolutions at the same time, this is the GPU you are looking for. For everything else, you will not get all the performance of the GPU because it is more designed for photo and video editing tasks.

The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M GPU will give you better performance, but if you experience it, do not expect anything enormous because photo editing is not the most stressful task for a GPU like this one. In my opinion, you should go for the first GPU, but it is up to you

Dec 28, 2013 11:45 AM in response to musch imac

Hi,

I will appreciate very much if you could let me know your impression about iMac with 775M. I want to buy iMac 27, only for work on photo and GoPro movie, no games at all (I have my PS3 for that).

My doubt is if I have to upgrage the video card, but it seems to me that the 780M is better only if you play games, and I surely won't play games on iMac.

But I want to upgrade with 16GB of memory and i7 processor....

Thanks in advance for your advice

Simone (from Italy)

Feb 8, 2014 9:40 AM in response to simcat65

Hi simcat65,

I'm very happy with my iMac. No performaance issues at all, as expected. Even liquify in Photoshop, which uses the GPU, is as fast you don't see any delay on your screen, as was on my old iMac. But you realy need 16 GB internal memory, once it took 15.5 GB. If you buy a iMac 27" in a shop with 16 GB be sure you get two 8 GB and not two 4 and one 8 GB, in case you will expand to 32 GB in the future.

Murk

Feb 11, 2014 3:09 AM in response to musch imac

Hi Murk,

Thanks for your answer.

Due to my small "desk", and after a talk with a technician in an Apple Store in Roma, I decided to buy a 21.5 iMac.

The configuration is: i7 processor, 16GB and 1Tera Fusion drive.

I started to work with iMovie and my GoPro Video, and I'm very happy: iMac is faster than my previous i5 Windows PC. Now I don't have to wait to convert my videos, and I can assemble them in a very fast way. :)

If you want take a look, this is my last video (I'm the biker, in a 24 hours race in Rome last September).

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VYHUADwTsu0

Bye,

Simone

Mar 19, 2014 10:55 AM in response to mende1

mende1 wrote:

unless you have to work with a lot of photos with enormous resolutions at the same time...

Can you define "enormous"..? I actually do work with images that are several hundred megs or more and while I usually don't have many open at the same time (sometimes a few) they may have MANY layers with a lot of details, effects, etc. Oh and, I am using Photoshop CC.

Also, not to hijack your thread but, do you know anything about using a lot of these large, layered Photoshop files in InDesign? Will the increased video memory help there as well?

Thanks.

May 22, 2014 6:45 AM in response to musch imac

Hi Musch imac,

I bought a 27' iMac a couple of weeks ago and am very pleased with it. I do some work in Photoshop, Fireworks and Dreamweaver CS6. I've not had an issue and don't think i'll have any for sometime as it runs very fast with those apps.

What I'm asking though is, you mentioned to Simcat65 about making sure you get 2 x 8gb of memory. My own has 2 x 4gb, should I get more memory or will I be ok for a while? And is extra memory expensive?

Thank you in advance.

James

May 22, 2014 7:20 AM in response to Jamie078

Hi Jamie078,

I don't know how expensive memory is, but you can find it on the Apple-site.

I have 16 GByte memory and mostly all memory is used, see the Activity monitor for your use of your memory. I think 16 GByte is standard at the moment hen you use LR an PS. With the 16 GByte no performance issues at all, using LR and PS. But, when I switch on the new Lightroom sync (with my iPad) LR consumes almost all CPU until all new previews are created. By the way, this new option of Lightroom (mobile) is not of a great use, you can't edit RAW-files in LR mobile!

Regards,

murk

PS.: I'm very, very pleased with my new iMac!

May 22, 2014 7:42 AM in response to musch imac

Thanks for your reply, Murk

I checked the Apple site and it's £320 for 16gb. Thanks for the tip with Activity Monitor, i see that i'm using almost all of my 8gb when using the Adobe appssimultaneously (I don't have LR at the moment) so I think I should go ahead and buy the extra memory just to make sure I have plenty for bigger jobs.

I'm also very pleased with my new iMac, it's almost as good to look at as it is to use. I had an iBook way back in 2005 and missed using OSX but i'm getting use to it again, like all the little shortcuts and stuff. It just works way better than W*****s 8 (or any previous version) 🙂

Regards,

James

Jun 4, 2014 5:32 AM in response to musch imac

Musch Imac,

Did you ever post your findings?

I'm in a similar situation. I want to get a new Imac in the very near future (few weeks max).

The areas i'm not sure about getting as options are:

1) I5 vs. I7 -> tho leaning towards I7

2) Nvidia GPU 775m 2gb vs. 780m 4gb -> tho leaning towards 775m

From my research if I go with the I7 then I could probably skimp on the GPU and get the 2GB 775M

Currently I do not nor do I plan on any gaming. Photo and video editing is at a bare minimum - HOWEVER, photo and video editing is something I'm interested in and would like to pursue. With the Imac, once you buy it, you can NOT change or upgrade. So i'm thinking better to be safe than sorry.

Having said that, do my poins 1 and 2 above make better sense?

Thanks,

Jun 4, 2014 6:11 AM in response to DeputyDawg

Hi DeputyDawg,

See my post of Feb 8, 2014: I'm very happy with my iMac.

User uploaded file

For photo editing it works very smoothly. I use Photoshop CC and Lightroom-5 in a semi professional way and I don't experience any problem. Best is 16 Gbyte. Be sure you buy 2 * 8 Gbyte and not 4 * 4. In case you want to upgrade to 32 Gbyte you can just add 2 * 8 GByte.

Regards,

Murk

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M or 780M iMac, which one to choose for PS CS6?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.