Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why won't safari 7.o.1 work with silverlight and netflix using mavericks?

Netflx requires MS Silverlight. After installation Safari leads to the Netflix prompt "thanks for downloading, please restart your browser"--restarting browser doesn't work, nor does restarting computer. Netflix works with Silverlight on Firefox however. So, it seems like a Safari problem. Netflix techs couldn't help. I'm using a MacBook Air with Mavericks. Thank you for any advice on getting Safari (7.0.1) to work with Silverlight with Netflix.

safari-OTHER, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), silverlight, netflix, firefox

Posted on Dec 26, 2013 5:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2013 5:43 AM

Netflix works here (OS X 10.9.1). I seem to have a Silverlight plug-in that was installed in 2012. Since I use the latest version of Safari, that seems to rule Safari out as a factor.

I am sorry I have no suggestions as I know absolutely nothing about the Netflix or Silverlight software.

Barry

27 replies

Jan 29, 2014 6:00 AM in response to cwelch13

Remove Microsoft Silverlight and reinstall it according to the following instructions.

Close the Netflix movie window if it is open.

Select the entire line that follows (triple-click to select it), then control-click, and from the contextual menu that appears, select Services > Open:

/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/

Drag the two folders Silverlight and PlayReady to the Trash. Empty the Trash.

Repeat the above with the following line:

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/

Drag the file named Silverlight.plugin to the Trash. This time you will need to authenticate with your login password.

Open a browser window, log in to Netflix, and select a movie to play. Click the blue button "Install Now", download the Silverlight.dmg file, and proceed to install Silverlight.

Jan 30, 2014 7:00 AM in response to John Galt

Sorry tried this doesnt change anything. Still receive the restart browser message after a computer reboot.

Note: This didn't happen to me till I did a re-install of maverick to try to fix another unrelated problem I was having. Seems like its an apple issue not silverlight.

Edit: The setup I have works fine in chrome and firefox. Why do I care since it works in my other two browsers? Because I use my browsers for different things; chrome bloats way to much and will end up crashing my computer after several hours of use (ram problem that I am to poor to fix right now) firefox is my work browser and tends to have 200-300 tabs open at any one time, so safari is my at home and movie watching browser.

Futher information I am running 10.9.1 with safari 7.0.1 and silverlight 5.1.20913.0,

Jan 30, 2014 7:30 AM in response to xRedxx

Neither one of those Safari extensions are beneficial, so I suggest you uninstall them.

Safari Restore looks like junk. It's no longer required anyway since Safari already incorporates what it allegedly does.

Folx may have corrupted the Silverlight download, therefore I suggest repeating my above instructions to remove and re-install Silverlight.

Restart your Mac in "Safe Mode" and determine if you can load a Netflix movie then. Netflix will stream in Safe Mode, but the video is likely to stutter and there may be no audio.

Please read the following first:

• Safe Mode or "Safe Boot" is a troubleshooting mode that bypasses all third party system extensions and loads only required system components. Read about it: Starting up in Safe Mode
  • You must disable FileVault before you can start your Mac in Safe Mode.
  • Starting your Mac in Safe Mode will take longer than usual, graphics will not render smoothly, audio is disabled on some Macs, and some programs (iTunes for example) may not work at all.
  • Merely starting your Mac in Safe Mode is not intended to resolve the problem, it's to observe its performance without certain additional components.
  • To end Safe Mode restart your Mac normally. Shutdown will take longer as well.

Jan 30, 2014 7:33 AM in response to John Galt

My safari loses saved sessions (and tabs that are just open) all the time so I have to use safari restore or some similar extension to back up my sessions. I did not preform the silverlight download with folx, but living in an area that throttles download speeds having a download assitant is imperative if I want anything to download in a reasonable amount of time. BTW I am a former computer technician and current research engineer and have extensive background in Macs. Your help is very welcome because I am software side light after the intel shift, but please try not to talk down to those you help.

Jan 30, 2014 8:25 AM in response to John Galt

So yes i have that checked, and unchecking it doesnt help with my problem. But as im sure you know the safari restore option overrides that box anyway. User uploaded file

If you can find a solution to the tab loss problem that would be much more useful to me than the netflix problem. I have been to the genius bar twice for it and even after seeing it happen they don't believe it can. What happens is that randomly the saved sessions websites just disappear. The title will still remain on the top of the window and the tab but the URL block will be empty, if i do anything that opens a page in a new tab it choses one of the “empty” pages. I can sometimes force this to happen by clearing just my browser history, quitting and restarting safari it will open some of the pages like normal and the rest will be there but blank. every once in awhile the whole session is lost and safari opens with just a single page. This is much more rare than just the tab loss problem. I have tried a safari hard reinstall per a tutorial I found in the apple help sections involving deleting safari through the terminal and reinstalling via a DMG. Also went through a disable various third party applications (folx etc) process. And as mentioned previously reinstalled mavericks. It has been suggested that this is associated with the bad ram sector problem I have (mentioned in my first post) but I have not been able to correlate crashing and this problem directly (It will happen wether the computer crashes or not) also don’t not see a similar problem with Firefox or chrome when crashing. Ideas?

why won't safari 7.o.1 work with silverlight and netflix using mavericks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.