Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to transfer/install SSD from HDD

I am purchasing a SSD and do not know what to do when transferring data. I have 90GB on my current HDD and the SSD is 120GB so there is enough room, but how do I go about transferring the data before I install it? Any help would be apreciated.

Thanks,

John

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Dec 26, 2013 7:43 AM

13 replies

Dec 26, 2013 8:55 AM in response to Eden Seeker

It is a method to transfer data from your old boot drive (HDD) to your new one (SSD). The two ways easiest methods to go about doing so involve temporarily using either one or the other as an external drive. See the excerpt below:

"There are two ways to go about getting the data from your old drive to your SSD. The first is to install the SSD into your enclosure and make your clone before installing the SSD. The second is simply to install the SSD into your hard drive bay and your old hard drive into your enclosure and boot from the enclosure. No one way is better than the other. "

Dec 26, 2013 10:52 AM in response to nbar

nbar wrote:

No one way is better than the other. "

I have to disagree with the author of this quote. Admittedly a nit and very rare, if the new drive turns out to be faulty, the old drive then has to be physically reinstalled into the MBP. Therefore it really is best to do the clone with the new drive in the enclosure, test it, and do the physical swap.

(Certainly not a criticism of nbar in any manner) 🙂

Ciao.

How to transfer/install SSD from HDD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.