Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp - No bootable device problem

I've been searching all over the internet for about 2 days now, and I still can't find a solution to my problem. I'm using an iso file of windows 7 home premium 64 bit in a 8 GB SanDisk Cruzer Glide USB flash drive, and I am using a MacBook Pro 13-inch (Late 2011). I have done all the correct steps in bootcamp, and my USB flash drive has one partition that is using the MS-DOS (FAT32) format, but when I came back after clicking the "Install 7 or later" step, I found a black screen that says: "no bootable device - insert boot disc and press any key". I know that in order to get out of that window you restart and hold Alt-Option when it reloads to select a disk, but all I get is the Macintosh HD and Recovery 10.9 ones. My flash drive is not a selection.I have read that the issue of having no bootable device is due to a damaged or corrupted iso file or disk, so I redownloaded my iso, and did all the steps again; however, it still failed.

Please help me find a solution because this has really been a pain.

Bootcamp-OTHER, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Dec 26, 2013 11:16 AM

9 replies

Dec 26, 2013 10:46 PM in response to cbwtaw

Well I burned the iso file to a DVD-R and it didn't work because I got the same problem, but I did find some information that might be useful.

While I was researching online and using disk utility to examine my USB and DVD, I found some intresting information. I was on disk utility, and with my USB selected, I clicked the info button, and I found that where it said "Bootable" was set to No, which I'm assuming is the explanation to why I can't see the USB in the setup screen. I also found, in Disk Utility, that my DVD's format was set to Mac OS Extended, which I'm assuming is the reason that my windows partition isn't detecting it.

So based on the information I found on my DVD and USB, I believe I need to change the DVD's format, and I need to set the USB to Bootable. I don't know how to change either one, so I'm searching the internet for answers. If anyone knows how to fix it, it would be greatly appreciated.

Jun 26, 2014 2:15 AM in response to cbwtaw

Anyone find an answer to this? I am on a MBP 17". I use Bootcamp and go through it all blah blah blah, but each time It restarts to setup windows, I get the "No bootable device....". I have tried on 4 different USB sticks and nothing is working. I just dont get it. I took out the superdrive to install a secondary drive a while ago so DVD is out of the question unless I buy an external drive. I just dont know, this is so frustrating. I JUST WANT WINDOWS. I DONT GET WHAT I AM DOING WRONG!

Jun 27, 2014 7:57 PM in response to HockeyBeast

I just finished the " Kunu Solution", and it worked flawlessly . It appears to me that the problem is

your flash drive. Your computer is simply not seeing it. Double check that the flash drive is

formatted in fat32. I believe that it will not work if it is NTFS. I would re-download that microsoft

boot tool in case the file was corrupted , and I would try a different flash drive as well in case

there is something physically wrong with the drive.

Also I would think about bumping up the size of the boot partition. I originally set mine at 50 gig.

By the time I loaded up a bunch of my favorite programs the partition was full. There is no way to

make it bigger like you can in Windows with partition magic. So I had to do the entire process

again to changed the partition size to 80 gigs.

When you are done it really works well. So if you boot into windows, it runs fast and well.

Or while in IOS, you can create a virtual drive from boot camp, and run both operating systems at the same

time. It is a bit pokey, even with 8 gigs of ram, but still works ok.

Bootcamp - No bootable device problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.