Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my old imovie video library ,how do i use it with new ssd drive

Hello

i have a intel core 2 duo imac late 2008

i recently fitted a 250gb ssd drive as my original 1tb hard drive had become full

i still have my original apple hard drive and i have over 250gb of home movies on it

i have also bought a 2tb firewire external hard drive to suplement the 250gb ssd drive

i have updated my imovies to the maverick version

can anyone help me as i have tried to solve my problem with no success

i want to use my old 250gb of home movies that is on my original apple 1tb drive

i have a cradle and i have been able to copy the folders to the firewire drive ok , but i cannot get imovie to use the footage.

i ve tried the import function , but it actually tries to copy the footage to the ssd drive, which clearly isnt big enough and that isnt what i want to do , i want to use it fronm the firewire external hard drive

can this be done , if so how do i do it , please

Brian

iMovie '11, Mac OS 9.1.x

Posted on Dec 26, 2013 12:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2013 1:46 PM

Brian,

Use File>Open Library>New to create a new Library on your external drive.

Then import to an Event loacted in the new Library,

Matt

10 replies

Dec 26, 2013 1:54 PM in response to Matthew Morgan

Hi Matt

JUST TRYING THAT NOW, IT HAS PROCESSES THE FILES FOR A SHORT TIME , THEN CAME UP WITH A MASSIVE LIST OF FILES THAT IT SAID ARE NOT SUPPORTED , I CLICKED ON CONTINUE, IT STATED IT WOULD NOT IMPORT THOSE ON THE LIST , AFTER ABOUT A MINUTE IT APPEARS TO HAVE IMPORTED A LOT OF MOVIES ALL IN ONE FILE

I DONT KNOW WHAT IS IN THERE YET , OR WHATS MISSING

PROBLEMSO FAR IS THERE SEEMS TO BE ALOT OF MY VIDEO BUT ALL IN ONE PROJECT INSTEAD OF DOZENS OF SEPERATE EVENTS???

PS -VIDEO PLAYBACK SEEMS APPAULING QUALLITY

Dec 27, 2013 11:17 AM in response to Matthew Morgan

hi

well after several attempts at the above suggstion by Mathew, ive still not succeded , i belive the advise is correct but the machine dont want to do the work ,

after a ouple of attempts , imovie closes , and when loook at the file size its around 65gb to 75 gb

i have had a re measure of my original folder size and its actually 459gb

maybe it a size thing , could it be the hard drive is working too hard and closing ?, just a guess ,

what i am thinking of doing is as Mathew suggests, but instead of copying from my copy of files already on my firewire hard drive , which i am using imovie to create a further copy on the same hard drive , i think i will put my old apple drive in a cradle and make a new library as advised by mathew , but then populate it from my original footage on the apple hard drive in the cradle

here goes.

Brian

Dec 30, 2013 5:16 AM in response to hello all on here

well , i did as i suggested i would do above , again the transfer failed , i measured the successful transfer and it was 170gb, instead of starting again , i tried to re import everything again , and it was a success , the system seemed to recognise that it had already transfered to 170gb , it did not try to import that footage again , but went on to import the rest of the footage with success.

there is a shortfal of around 20gb but i think that may be my completed projects, the ones ive burnt to disc, i havnt had time to work tat out but i will report back with my findings

i see one problem so far , the files are not imported and listed as before with seperate dates and titles, i have just one long list of video foootage with no titles ,this maybe that i have not asked for them to be displayed a certain way , but i havnt sorted that out if it can be done .

when i right clip on the newly created library i do have an option to

"consolidate movie library" that explins that it will copy all files into the movie library .

do i need / want to do that ???

i dontt know what it means or what effect it will have on my files

Brian

what i have also found is that although the thumbnails of the video look good quality , when i ask the video to play it plays back in the preview window and looks very block as if filmed in very poor resolution , but it is actually recorded in high resolution , ?

Jan 5, 2014 11:43 AM in response to hello all on here

unfortunatly , not all is well ,

the videos appear ok and f high quality when i look at the thumbnails, however when i play them in the play window they still appear very poor quality and blocky , i have uploaded a 5 second clip to youtube and it remains the same poor wuality

begining to wish i had not replaced the hard drive now , may be easier to re instal my original hard drive , at least i will still have good quality video , i think

my old imovie video library ,how do i use it with new ssd drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.