Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

update os x 10.5.8 to mountain Lion

I bought Mountain Lion on App Store on my Mac Book early 2009 edition. while installing mountain lion the computer crashed due to a virus. I´ve now formatted the computer and are back on the 10.5.8 platform. I want to install mountain Lion, but sence it´s in App Store, And app store comes with snow leopard, I can´t access it. The Snow leopard was previouslly installed on my computer by a friend, using his CD, this friend lives miles away. I don´t want to buy snow leopard sence I don´t plan to use it for more than a stepping stone to install Mountain Lion. Is there any way around installing snow leopard before Mountain Lion? Is there an affordable and legal way around this problem?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Dec 26, 2013 2:24 PM

9 replies

Dec 27, 2013 4:42 AM in response to SeaPapp

I never stole snow leopard. One of my friends gave me one of his installs in a perfectly leagal matter. This I´ve gotten confirmed by Apple Store. They actually recommended me to borrow a CD from someone when I contacted their location here in Oslo this morning.

My Mac did crash because of a virus that came through Windows using boot camp. It is a long time sence there were no viruses for MAC, and i know several people that has had their MacBook infected. My husbands Mac/firefox for Mac is Actually infected now.

So please don´t make assumptions and do not answer for things you do not know. I am asking for a solution in a community of mac users.

<Edited By Host>

Dec 27, 2013 7:34 AM in response to Kristine Maria Almås Kvig

My Mac did crash because of a virus that came through Windows using boot camp.

This is not possible.

i know several people that has had their MacBook infected. My husbands Mac/firefox for Mac is Actually infected now.

Please have him start his own Discussion so that his problem can be addressed. Acting on the assumption that your Mac has a virus will only waste time and compound whatever problems actually exist.

Is there any way around installing snow leopard before Mountain Lion?

No, but Mountain Lion is not a prerequisite for upgrading to Mavericks (see below).

Is there an affordable and legal way around this problem?

Yes. Your early 2009 MacBook can run Mavericks, and it's free. It should perform better than Mountain Lion. It's up to you to determine if the $20 US for a legally obtained Snow Leopard DVD is affordable.

Dec 27, 2013 7:53 AM in response to Kristine Maria Almås Kvig

If your friend did not give you the Snow Leopard disk, and kept it himself, then it was most definitely NOT installed in a perfectly legal manner. That's software piracy, regardless of what someone in your local Apple Store told you. The only way that multiple people are allowed to use a single Snow Leopard disk is if they are family members living in the same household.

Your only option at this point is to purchase a Snow Leopard disk, as there is no way to go from Leopard (10.5.x) to a newer system without going through Snow Leopard first.

As for the virus issue, see my Mac Malware Guide. It is extremely unlikely that your husband's machine is infected with Mac malware, nor did your Mac become infected through Boot Camp. If you are basing this on scans made with anti-virus software, note that it is not uncommon for a Mac to have Windows malware on it (as an e-mail attachment or copied from a flash drive or something similar), but that does not mean that it is infected. The malware would simply be sitting inertly on the hard drive.

Dec 27, 2013 8:53 AM in response to thomas_r.

Please have him start his own Discussion so that his problem can be addressed. Acting on the assumption that your Mac has a virus will only waste time and compound whatever problems actually exist.

As for the virus issue, see my Mac Malware Guide. It is extremely unlikely that your husband's machine is infected with Mac malware, nor did your Mac become infected through Boot Camp. If you are basing this on scans made with anti-virus software, note that it is not uncommon for a Mac to have Windows malware on it (as an e-mail attachment or copied from a flash drive or something similar), but that does not mean that it is infected. The malware would simply be sitting inertly on the hard drive.

on my computer the problem was that it switched of every time I tried to get something done on it. And when I tried to format it, or install snow leopard it would switch of mid installation,making the software unsusable. I look at this as a virus becaus when I finally managed to format the computer the problem stopped.

My husbands virus, as I call it, Make **** pop up on firefox, no mather what adress you try to access. This might be something else than a virus (adaware or something).

if your friend did not give you the Snow Leopard disk, and kept it himself, then it was most definitely NOT installed in a perfectly legal manner. That's software piracy, regardless of what someone in your local Apple Store told you. The only way that multiple people are allowed to use a single Snow Leopard disk is if they are family members living in the same household.

My friend was living with us at the time, though we are not family. If this is the case, then Apple should educate their storefront employees better. I don´t know if the user agreemens is different from country to country, and that is why he (the employee) gave me permission to do this. I know that the user agreements did at one point brake norwegian law, and they were forced to change it here.

Dec 27, 2013 11:46 AM in response to Kristine Maria Almås Kvig

on my computer the problem was that it switched of every time I tried to get something done on it.

That's definitely not the way any known Mac malware behaves. Sounds like it may have been a badly corrupt system, depending on how you were trying to reinstall the system initially. Alternately, it could be a sporadic hardware issue.

My husbands virus, as I call it, Make **** pop up on firefox, no mather what adress you try to access

Regarding that problem, if it occurs again, see:

Eliminating browser redirects and advertisements

Apple should educate their storefront employees better.

Agreed. Unfortunately, we've all seen cases where folks here were told something completely wrong - even, in some cases, ridiculous or even dangerous - by an Apple tech. Of course, there aren't enough knowledgeable and intelligent people who are interested in working as an entry-level tech, so such entry-level techs in any big tech company are usually not that well-versed in the answers to less common questions.

update os x 10.5.8 to mountain Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.