Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Download free Tempus Sans ITC for version 10.9

I am trying to download Tempus
Sans ITC Regular font to my IMac ox version 10.9 but got a message that it won't open on this version. Does anyone know if there is a free version that will work?

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Dec 26, 2013 1:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2013 2:00 PM

Hi,

I Googled

There are other search engines.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file
10:00 pm Thursday; December 26, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

15 replies

Dec 26, 2013 2:03 PM in response to helenev90

What are the full names of the files you downloaded? I'm curious if you picked up Windows Type 1 PostScript fonts.

ITC Tempus was part of the Adobe Font Folio back when it was all Type 1 PostScript (Mac and Windows versions are completely different from one another). It's never been a free font. But like practically every font ever made, you can find just about any typeface out there on "free fonts" sites.

Dec 26, 2013 2:15 PM in response to Kurt Lang

Thanks Kurt. When I last used it it was in Windows XP. I no longer have this on my IMac but I thought being a true type font there would be a Mac version. There is, but it doesn't work with Maverick. I was hoping someone else might have found a site that would have it. May check at the Mac store to see if they know anything about it. I wonder if there is a version that is not free. I would be interested in that.

Dec 26, 2013 2:23 PM in response to helenev90

From Windows, and not working, they are most likely Windows versions of Type 1 PostScript fonts. I presume they are a pair of identically named files, but one with a .pfm extension, and the other .pfb? If so, that's the problem. It's never been possible to use Win T1PS fonts on the Mac, or Mac T1PS fonts in Windows. Well, there is one way to do it, but only if you have some Adobe titles installed.

Dec 27, 2013 6:29 AM in response to helenev90

Since Adobe created Type 1 PostScript, they know how to read any version of them. From my font article:

Windows Type 1 PostScript - Paired fonts with .pfb and .pfm extensions. Normally, these fonts have never been able to be used on the Mac. Not in OS9 or OS X. Technically, you still can't. You can't open them with any font manager or use them by directly placing the fonts in one of OS X's or OS 9's standard Fonts folders. But the Adobe applications (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign), starting with the CS2 suite, can indeed read these fonts. Place them in the /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Fonts/ folder and you will be able to use Windows Type 1 PostScript fonts with the Adobe programs. The CS4 through CC versions do not create the Fonts folder mentioned. But all you have to do is go to the /Library/Application Support/Adobe/ folder and create a new folder named Fonts. An example of a Windows Type 1 PostScript font is as follows:

DSSCR___.PFM

DSSCR___.PFB

This particular font is Dorchester Script MT. All Windows Type 1 fonts consist of two files for one complete typeface. A .pfm file for the font metrics, and a .pfb file for the binary data. You must have both in order for the font to work. If there were a bold version of this font, you would have another uniquely named matching pair of .pfm and .pfb files.

This will still not help any other part of the OS see Windows T1PS fonts. Only the Adobe apps will be able to use them, and only if you place them specifically in the location noted.

I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.

Dec 27, 2013 2:05 PM in response to Kurt Lang

Kurt, have to tell you I just followed your instructions, made the new file folder and I now have Tempus Sans ITC and just tried it out in Pages and IT WORKS!!!!!!

Thank you, thank you so much for solving my problem. I had spent several days trying to download it and was about to give up before I went to the Forum. So glad I didn't give up.

Best,

Helene

Download free Tempus Sans ITC for version 10.9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.