Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transferring data from old MBP (target boot only) to new MBP

Hey all,

Well, my old 2008 MBP died and I can only target boot to it. I need help.

- I want to transfer my iTunes data. I don'at want to lose my music, games, etc that I bought on that iTunes acct.

- I want to back up my iPhoto library. My library was getting too large so I have this on a USB external drive.

- I use Thunderbird for email client. I'd like to transfer old work emails from TB.

So I just bought a refurb 2012 MBP that has Thunderbolt connections with no Firewire that will work with my old 2008 MBP. I looked but there is no adaptor for this. too old. I was hoping to firewire cable the two MBP but...

Q: I have the iPhoto library on an external drive. Is there a same iTunes doc that I can transfer to the external as well? If so, what/where is it?

Q: How do I merge iTunes and iPhoto library to the newer MBP? The old MBP ran OS 10.6, the new MBP is running 10.8..I heard of that third party app iPhoto Library Manager but will it work if they were created in a different OS version?

Thanks for the help folks!

Dooki

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Dec 26, 2013 3:00 PM

10 replies

Dec 26, 2013 4:41 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

Mi dispiace ma non funziona! That adaptor is a firewire 800, with a rectangle port. My old MBP is a firewire 400 with beveled corners on one side or the port shape. My MBP was a model before the unibody design. This is why I cannot connect via cable directly.

And, I just realized that without a direct connection I cannot transfer my apps from my old to my new MBP.

-Dooki

Dec 26, 2013 4:47 PM in response to Dooki-san

You would be better off removing the drive from the older system and connecting it directly to your new system with a SATA to USB adapter or enclosure and then just copy the data off it you want. No fooling around with other adapters and cables and booting to Target Disk Mode. And one of the SATA to USB adapters comes in handy for all types of things. Even connecting a standard size CD/DVD drive, even if it is the older IDE style drive. Most all the SATA to USB adapter work for both SATA and IDE drive and for both desktop and notebook size IDE drives.

Dec 26, 2013 5:39 PM in response to LowLuster

Lowluster-

Wow, I did not know about this adaptor. So in essence the pulled HD will become and "external" drive. Clever.

Last Q: Is there a problem merging iPhoto/iTunes libraries from 10.6 to 10.8 versions? Also, I have the iPhoto library on isolated. What folder, doc, thingy, do I need to pull for iTunes? Is there a library iTunes that I copy? The main goal for is that I don't want to lose the music and apps that I bought through iTunes.

Thanks!

-Dooki

Dec 26, 2013 5:57 PM in response to Dooki-san

Yes exactly. With one of these adapter any bare drive, or one removed from an enclosure as the drives in all enclosure are standard drive, can be used as external drive. Make sure you get an adapter that comes with it own AC adapter to power whatever drive you are using. Some being sold today don't come with a separate AC adapter and try to draw the power to run the drive from the USB port. That works with some drive but not all.

As to the iTunes and iPhoto libraries I am unsure how that is done. You would be better posting that question in the respective forums.

But once you have the old drive connected to your new Mac there is nothing stopping you from copying all the data on it to your new system. Once copied over you can then do the importing/merging of the respective libraries.

Dooki-san wrote:

Lowluster-

Wow, I did not know about this adaptor. So in essence the pulled HD will become and "external" drive. Clever.

Last Q: Is there a problem merging iPhoto/iTunes libraries from 10.6 to 10.8 versions? Also, I have the iPhoto library on isolated. What folder, doc, thingy, do I need to pull for iTunes? Is there a library iTunes that I copy? The main goal for is that I don't want to lose the music and apps that I bought through iTunes.

Thanks!

-Dooki

Transferring data from old MBP (target boot only) to new MBP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.