Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error 11556: Can't share between some accounts on same computer

I can't get iTunes (11.1.3) Home Sharing to work with this one account on my computer (Mini, OS 10.8.5). I've enabled it OK in my main admin account, and in one other account, but in my daughter's account I keep getting the error message: "Home Sharing could not be activated because an error occurred (11556)"

I thought it might have something to do with the parental controld I'd set up on her account, but I turned them off and got the same error. I found one discussion suggesting it works to remove iTunes and reinstall it, but that seems drastic. I'm not even sure how to do a real uninstall, except for dragging the Application/iTunes icon to the trash. I hestiate to do that, considering all is working for the other accounts, but not this one.

Suggestions? Thanks.

Posted on Dec 26, 2013 3:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2013 5:38 AM

I wound up fixing this myself, after reading some other posts.

The key to making Home Sharing work was to enable access to the iTunes store in iTunes - something that was probably shut off when I turned on parental controls for that account. In the iTunes program, I navigated to iTunes...Preferences...Parental, and then unchecked "Disable...iTunes Store". Frankly I forget whether, when IHome Sharing was NOT working, that box was unchecked alone, or if the iTunes U box was checked, but when I unchecked them both, I was able to turn on Home Sharing. This is what the prefs window looks like when Home Sharing IS WORKING:

User uploaded file

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 27, 2013 5:38 AM in response to jkurutz

I wound up fixing this myself, after reading some other posts.

The key to making Home Sharing work was to enable access to the iTunes store in iTunes - something that was probably shut off when I turned on parental controls for that account. In the iTunes program, I navigated to iTunes...Preferences...Parental, and then unchecked "Disable...iTunes Store". Frankly I forget whether, when IHome Sharing was NOT working, that box was unchecked alone, or if the iTunes U box was checked, but when I unchecked them both, I was able to turn on Home Sharing. This is what the prefs window looks like when Home Sharing IS WORKING:

User uploaded file

Error 11556: Can't share between some accounts on same computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.