Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which MacBook Pros are safe to buy used and not recalled for video graphics/display failure (due to overheating)?

I've had some bad luck with MacBook Pros lately. I bought a 2010 model but it was effectively a Total Loss because of a vehicle accident. From searching with Google, people have reported logic board failures. Who knows if mine would've failed, too.

Then I bought an older 2009 MacBook Pro and that eventually failed due to the graphics chip failure. There was a recall on it but the problem occured JUST after the recall period expired. I don't have a microwave solder lying around or a proper setup to fix the problem myself.

Now, I im in the market for a used MacBook Pro, as a gift (I can't afford a new one right now) (with the luck I have, I'm basically done with them but the person wants one).

I've seen some 2011 models priced quite attractively, which caused me to do a quick check and find that the (early) 2011 models also have video graphic failures. I don't get it. I understand paying for the name, but the name also has to have reliability and you don't hear about video graphics failures from some of the more well known PC manufacturers..just saying.

I'd strongly prefer to not purchase any retina models, if at all possible. I want a mechanical SATA HDD and an optical drive. I oppose proprietary components -- as I understand it, the retina models make it nearly impossible to upgrade.

Which used MacBook Pros are safe for purchase? In other words, which ones do not have recalls or are susceptible to video graphics/display failures? I don't want to put the money down for one, only to hear it kicked the bucket and it needs service and is out of warranty.

Thank you for your time.

Posted on Dec 26, 2013 3:53 PM

5 replies

Which MacBook Pros are safe to buy used and not recalled for video graphics/display failure (due to overheating)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.