Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can i use an external mic with imovie

I recently got a much better mic for my apple desktop. the mic is a M-Audio mic USB Producer series. I have used it on my desktop by chaning the system preferences and choosing the drop down window usb producer mic. it works fine. but when i am in imovie, i go to create a new movie using my internal video and it's recording visual only. there is no audio at all and thus, i am in search of an answer for this. Thanks a million.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8), it was working fine.

Posted on Dec 26, 2013 7:31 PM

4 replies

Dec 27, 2013 5:17 AM in response to troyfromlos angeles

So you have checked that in System preferences - Sound the selected device for sound input is still your new mike?

And youv'e checked that the input level is set OK and the mike is responding to sound in the input level indicator?

I assume you are using iMovie 9.0.x and want to record a voiceover (?). See iMovie '11 Help "Record a voiceover" Does your mike show up in the sound input devices in the voiceover window?

Geoff.

Dec 27, 2013 12:23 PM in response to GeeD

No, cause you cannot change the mic preference with imovie. for some reason there is no ability to change the mic input selection for the mic. i have read on here from others about this same problem. surprised you did not know this being you're answering questions for apple. none the less, i bought this expensive mic from apple and it is completely useless which is amazing being it came from their store. i guess thats how the rich get richer.

Dec 27, 2013 12:56 PM in response to troyfromlos angeles

Troy, I beg to disagree. I've just done a test and find that I can record video from my external USB microphone (A logitech AK5370). Here is the menu:

User uploaded file

I can also select the system (line) input or an input from an app which captures sound from applications

For info this is a user's discussion group and we are all users like you and not affiliated with Apple.

Geoff.

can i use an external mic with imovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.