Previous 1 2 3 Next 31 Replies Latest reply: Dec 27, 2013 2:50 PM by sberman Branched to a new discussion.
LiftedTrees_97 Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

Hello,

I had purchased an iPad off Craigslist.

The iPad was in great condition and it is the Verizon 3G 16GB model.

Of course, Me being pesky, I checked the ESN and it came back clean, Meaning the iPad hasn't been reported stolen or lost or currently attached to an account.

I had restored the iPad, to wipe previous user data off as he had it unlocked and on to show and prove to me it worked.

However, Upon inital setup, It keeps saying "Activate iPad" and says the iPad is still attached to an Apple ID.

I had tried restoring multiple times.

I read somewhere that it is called an "Activation Lock" and that it must be done remotely from the previous owners account.

So, I tried contacting the previous owner to no avail.

I've tried calling, emailing, texting, and I get no response.

I understand anyone can come up with a story but since this iPad is a CDMA iPad, It would have been marked stolen or lost (Bad ESN) in Verizon's system so there is NO way this iPad is stolen.

Can someone at apple help me with this unique situation, I paid 200 dollars for a brick, and honestly, I could send a screenshot showing the iPad is clean in Verizon's system.

I don't know what to do,

Please no remarks about me "finding" or "stealing" it, Like I said, If I had stole it, It would've been reported stolen in Verizon's systems.

iPad 2, iOS 7.0.4
  • Diavonex Level 9 Level 9 (66,450 points)

There's nothing much you can do if you do not have the Apple ID and Password of the previous owner.

• sberman Level 7 Level 7 (26,455 points)

Personally, I don't think you stole or "found" it.  But I do believe it was stolen, and not recorded as such in any database.

Here's the Activation Lock article:

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH13695

Without the previous owner unlocking using their Apple ID and password, you have an expensive brick.

• LiftedTrees_97 Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

So nothing or nobody can help me? This is my first iDevice, and will probably be my last. Honestly, should've went with my instincts and just bought a Nexus 7. I just wanted to try something new and got F#$@ed in the end, That's just awesome. Thanks

Just for record: http://tinypic.com/r/35n92x5/5

and How would he have been using the iPad if it was stolen?

He had restored it before he came, (He didn't have any apps on there, It was freshly restored, I just wanted to set it up on my own terms and account).

This isn't adding up..

That's quite a reaction.

You're saying because you were the unfortunate victim of purchasing a stolen device, and bacause you are not allowed to use that stolen device, you would like to take your business elsewhere.

Well, you should probably do that.  But first, perhaps you should let the authorities know you were ripped off.

Nah, It's just instincts.

How would you react?

I've been using Android for years

Something was telling me to buy a Nexus from the start.

I just wanted to give apple a chance and see what the hype was all about.

Plus, coming from an Android perspective, I had played around with iOS 7 and was quite impressed, Honestly.

LiftedTrees_97 wrote:

I just wanted to give apple a chance and see what the hype was all about.

One of the recent things Apple did that "hyped" me was introduce Activation Lock.  Once the word spreads, it will become much more difficult to unload a stolen iPad or iPhone.  Theft of such devices should decrease markedly.

Well. I'm glad they do implement a theft deterrent because It is horrible losing a device. Very treacherous. Doesn't solve my issue

Agreed.

I hope you can contact the seller.

I've been trying.

If all else fails, and I contact apple, Will it possible for them to help?

Maybe?

A small possibility?

There is zero chance.

They might refer you to this article (what to do if your device is lost or stolen):

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5668

or this one (reporting a lost or stolen Apple product):
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2526

But they will not help you activate your device.

Well, Thanks for stabbing hope.

I won't ever be purchasing another apple device in my life span, which may be short or long depending on my stress level which currently is high.

Thanks for the "help" you did provide though.

• MichelPM Level 6 Level 6 (9,420 points)

Everyone here is dancing around THE REAL ISSUE HERE!

Maybe you should've bought your iPad from a trusted source like retail stores that carry Apple devices, Authorized Apple resellers, Online Authorized Apple resellers OR, just a thought, Apple, itself and you wouldn't have been sold stolen property, from some rogue stranger off of Craigslist, selling a stolen iPad? Hmmm?

Even eBay would've been a better risk as most reputable sellers use PayPal and if you aren't satisfied with your purchase, you can get your money back and credited back to your bank account.

Apple isn't to blame here. IT'S YOU!

Bonebag!

• bobseufert Level 6 Level 6 (8,710 points)

What can the police do ?  Somebody's iPad was stolen,  maybe you can help catch the thief and when you return it to it's rightful owners they'll  give you a big reward.

Previous 1 2 3 Next