Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What to do?

Hello,

I had purchased an iPad off Craigslist.

The iPad was in great condition and it is the Verizon 3G 16GB model.

Of course, Me being pesky, I checked the ESN and it came back clean, Meaning the iPad hasn't been reported stolen or lost or currently attached to an account.

I had restored the iPad, to wipe previous user data off as he had it unlocked and on to show and prove to me it worked.

However, Upon inital setup, It keeps saying "Activate iPad" and says the iPad is still attached to an Apple ID.

I had tried restoring multiple times.

I read somewhere that it is called an "Activation Lock" and that it must be done remotely from the previous owners account.

So, I tried contacting the previous owner to no avail.

I've tried calling, emailing, texting, and I get no response.

I understand anyone can come up with a story but since this iPad is a CDMA iPad, It would have been marked stolen or lost (Bad ESN) in Verizon's system so there is NO way this iPad is stolen.

Can someone at apple help me with this unique situation, I paid 200 dollars for a brick, and honestly, I could send a screenshot showing the iPad is clean in Verizon's system.

I don't know what to do,

Please no remarks about me "finding" or "stealing" it, Like I said, If I had stole it, It would've been reported stolen in Verizon's systems.

iPad 2, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Dec 26, 2013 9:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2013 9:51 PM

There's nothing much you can do if you do not have the Apple ID and Password of the previous owner.

22 replies

Dec 27, 2013 12:09 AM in response to LiftedTrees_97

Everyone here is dancing around THE REAL ISSUE HERE!

Maybe you should've bought your iPad from a trusted source like retail stores that carry Apple devices, Authorized Apple resellers, Online Authorized Apple resellers OR, just a thought, Apple, itself and you wouldn't have been sold stolen property, from some rogue stranger off of Craigslist, selling a stolen iPad? Hmmm?

Even eBay would've been a better risk as most reputable sellers use PayPal and if you aren't satisfied with your purchase, you can get your money back and credited back to your bank account.

Apple isn't to blame here. IT'S YOU!

Bonebag!

Dec 27, 2013 3:27 AM in response to LiftedTrees_97

Yes, let me share your pain. I bought a VW from a guy in a bar. He said it was clean and had only done 25000k with one owner, an old lady.

Turns out it had done 250000 with 9 owners before it was stolen and crashed. When I went to VW they refused to rebuild it. I am never buying a VW again! I should have stuck with .....

Do you recognise the logic?

What to do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.