7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 27, 2013 12:48 PM by léonie
azartguy Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I just spent some time working on a RAW original in Adjustments, then tried to "Duplicate Version" and the original file disappeared. It's not in trash, it's just gone, poof into the great digital empty place. Any suggestions?

Brian

Aperture 3, OS X Mavericks (10.9)
  • léonie Level 9 Level 9 (65,150 points)

I just spent some time working on a RAW original in Adjustments, then tried to "Duplicate Version" and the original file disappeared.

So it is hard to say what has been happening.

What is your Aperture version? Are you using Aperture 3.5.1 with Mavericks?

Which adjustment/s did you apply?

Did you seect the image in a project or an album/smart album?

It's not in trash, it's just gone, poof into the great digital empty place. Any suggestions?

Is the original image file missing from the disk, or do you see the original no longer in the Browser?

• If you were working from a smart album, the smart rules may no longer apply, after you adjusted the image; then the original may vanish from the album, but still be in the project.

• Perhaps you pressed accidentally the "9" key and rejected the original version? Then it will be hidden, even in the Trash, unless the filters in the Browser are set to "Showing all". Open the "rejected" album to look for it.
    • Or you may have set the "Preferences > General" option "Automatically Stack new versions", then your original will be hidden in the versions stack, if you collapsed all stacks. Try "Stacks > Unstack" or "Open".

If the original is actually gone from the project, and no longer on the disk, then post back with more information, please.

Regards

Leonie

• azartguy Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Leonie,

I'm using Mavricks and Apertures 3.5.1. Your suggestion was correct, it is in the "rejected" album. How it got there I really can't say, but it now carries an "x" badge. What's the best way to retrieve it? I tried dragging it back to the original project, but that didn't work.

Brian

Brian, the "x" badge is the "rejected" rating. It could have been applied by accidentally typing a "9".  To unreject the images, select them and press any other rating, for example "0" for unrated, or "+" for "increase rating".

Leoni, as usual your advice is spot-on, but something goes wrong at this end.

I changed the badging from “x” to “0” for the file as you said, and the file disappeared from the rejected folder but didn’t go back to the original project. It did, however, end up in in a smart album I’d set up based on a rating despite not having that rating (3 stars) but when It moved there it somehow replaced the several dozen rated files in the smart album.

I'm sure this can't happen, but it did.

Would it be a good idea at this point to just create a new Library for 2014, reset everything and not carry anything forward? The old images will be stored, and accessible, but hopefully whatever is going wrong will stay in the 2013 Library. Or should I delete the program

and reinstall to do this?

Brian

. It did, however, end up in in a smart album I’d set up based on a rating despite not having that rating (3 stars) but when It moved there it somehow replaced the several dozen rated files in the smart album.

Brian, if you are seeing the images in your smart album, try to find them in their current project. Select each one of them in turn and use the command "File > Show in project".

but when It moved there it somehow replaced the several dozen rated files in the smart album.

Check the smart rules for that album. Maybe they have changed.

Would it be a good idea at this point to just create a new Library for 2014, reset everything and not carry anything forward?

It is hard to say, if their is something wrong with Aperture itself, with your system, or with your library, without more information.

The first thing to do, would be to make sure you are having a working backup of your current system, just in case, their is actually something wrong with your system or your hardware, maybe a failing drive.

I'd test with a new Aperture library, and see, if that is working well. If yes, I'd repair the permissions on your current library and try the other First Aid Tools as well, see: Repairing and Rebuilding Your Aperture Library: Aperture 3 User Manual

-- Léonie

Leonie,

I suspect it's a hardware problem. I'm starting to see small glitches show up in several programs (Apple and others) and everything has slowed down to a crawl lately. It may be time to move on up from the old iMac. Thanks for the feedback,

Brian

Brian, to check for a hardware problem, check two things:

• Try, if you see similar issues, when working from a different user account. You can create a new user account from the "System Preferences >Users&Groups". This will prevent any issues caused by the settings in your current account.
    • Try, if you see similar problems, when booting into Safe Mode. Mac OS X: Starting up in Safe Mode 
      When in Safe Mode, non-standard kernel extensions and preference panes will be disabled. You will see, how your Mac performs with a clean system.  You will probably not be able to launch Aperture in Safe mode, but you could test with iPhoto.