Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AOL V5.0 under OS 9.22: Mail not in Filing Cabinet

Here's a nice AOL V5.0 challenge for all OS 9.22 lovers/users.

Without going into details, a customer MUST use 9.22 for a certain application. Further, he must use AOL V5.0 in order to get attachment files. If and when he uses OS X to get the files, they simply do not work with his OS 9 application. His application only works in 9.22, not Classic.

Unfortunately, whomever set up his AOL four years ago did NOT set his mail to be saved, so I found out today that his Personal Filing Cabinet (PFC) is empty, and AOL freezes if he clicks on the tab "Old Mail". By discarding and resetting prefs, now new mail is going to his PFC, but that doesn't help the mail sent nor the old mail residing on AOL's server.

How can he empty his old mail and preserve it, or better yet, transfer it to the PFC ? Going to the AOL website doesn't allow mail export. Is this where IMAP and an e-mail client would help ? He has no problem with the new mail section, so occasionally he'll go to an OSX machine and set a few old mails to "new" and then retrieve them on his 9.22 machine.

Reducing his massive Old Mail will help run OS 9.22, because once he clicks on that Old Mail tab there's a looooong load in time, the program freezes, and force quitting AOL must be done or one cannot do a normal restart. After a force quit, the system is completely unstable and a restart is required to use 9.22, and that can only be done by the power button (800 mHz dual PPC G4) or disconnecting the AC.

Any and all suggestions are welcome, but please, don't suggest to abandon OS 9. It is required, and aside from AOL and one other issue, it works great.

Thank you.

Posted on Dec 26, 2013 11:31 PM

9 replies

Jan 2, 2014 11:56 AM in response to MacPcConsultant

I have no experience of AOL but my initial thoughts are:

1 - If access to historic mail held by AOL is important then talk directly with AOL support.

2 - If removing the lag caused by historic clutter on the account is important then set up another mail account and auto forward from the historic account and/or migrate to new account.

Jan 3, 2014 2:51 AM in response to a brody

a brody wrote:

It is better to have AOL move your e-mail over to an IMAP account on their servers. Then it will be portable, and usable on software like Eudora Lite 3.1.3L for Mac OS 9.

I know nothing about AOL servers but it is surprising how many mail servers are IMAP-like with an efficient POP facility. If I remember correctly this was also so for some conference based servers such as FirstClass. If AOL is similar then all that is required is details of POP or IMAP settings.

Eudora Lite works very well with POP - just keep it offline until 'delete from server' settings are set as required - the default may trash mail on the server at first connection which is a problem if you wish to retain it for a while or indefinitely.

AOL V5.0 under OS 9.22: Mail not in Filing Cabinet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.