Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro not charging, adapters not the problem

Hello,

I had this MBP since late 2011. Recently it has been not charging despite the fact that the adapter is plugged in and orange. For example, even though the LED lights on the side and OS says it's charging, in actuality it is not. My computer turns off by itself and when I press the battery life button on the side, it goes from 8 dots to one flashing green light.

I have tried another power adapter and the same thing is happening.

Any ideas? Please help.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Dec 27, 2013 12:46 AM

7 replies

Dec 27, 2013 1:21 AM in response to PlotinusVeritas

Did you try an SMC reset?

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
  3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
  4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
    Note
    : The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

Dec 27, 2013 2:10 AM in response to leclipseujano

Power problems like this can be one of five things:

1. Firmware
  2. The charger.
  3. The battery.
  4. The MagSafe connector board in the Mac.
  5. The logic board (aka. the motherboard)

Firmware gets taken care with the SMC reset. The charger you have apparently confirmed as good. The other 3 can only be pinpointed at the Apple Store or Service Provider. Let's hope it is not #5, cause then it is usually more cost effective to toss the old and buy a new Mac.

MacBook Pro not charging, adapters not the problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.