Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to avoid aliasing in idvd 7.2

Hello everyone

I did the following:

1/create a movie in iMovie 11; clips are coming from my Canon EOS 650D in HDTV 1920x1080 pixels

result is very good; specially on the titles, I do not see any aliasing effect.

2/export to iDVD; result is still the same. If I launch the movie in iDVD in preview mode on my macbook the result is very good.

3/toast the DVD with iDVD, chosing "professional quality" in iDVD preferences (this is the best quality as far as I know)

4/looking at the DVD on my Panasonic DMP BD60 connected to my Sanyo PLV Z700 projector: the aliasing is awfull on the titles and any horizontal line of my movie.

Can you please help, this is really frustrating to get such a bad result with good devices in the whole chain.

Many thanks in advance

(sorry if I made somme english mistakes, I am french)

emac 1,25 Ghz & powerbook G4, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Dec 27, 2013 2:16 AM

2 replies

Dec 27, 2013 6:05 AM in response to thedude92

just 2 images to make my subject more easily understandable for the one who may help me:

image 1 = screen shot of the preview of my movie in iDVD on my macbook; no aliasing, the figure "2013" is perfect

User uploaded file

the same frame taken with my iphone camera (please do not pay attention to the color, the image is displayed on a white wall); the figure "2013" is awfull

User uploaded file

workaround: I have read that iDVD must interlace iMovie videos to comply with the PAL standard; when I read the DVD, the DVD player try to deinterlace (or transcode to progressive mode).

Both operation results in quality image loss.

If this is correct may be the solution would be to avoid interlace when burning; is it possible ?? Any help appreciated

Dec 27, 2013 8:02 AM in response to thedude92

Hi

Yes this is a Problem using a program as iMovie'08 to iMovie'11 at least - most probably iMovie'13 too.

NON OF THEM CAN UNDER ANY Circumstanses - Deliver to iDVD what is needed to make 100% DVD Quality - EVER !

In the process going from Events to an iMovie Project - EVERY Second line in the Picture is LOST ! and this can not be mended later.

Thats why we that want 100% what DVD can deliver - doesn't use them but programs that can Edit and Export INTERLACED SD-Video Quality.

To make the result even worse from the previous Video-Editors one can Export/Share in HD Quality - due to that iDVD makes a BAD JOB in DownScaling - even more of the Picture Quality is lost.

A. Use - iMovie HD6 or FinalCut Express or Pro - as they all can hadle and Export without further loss.

B. If that is not possibly - then DO NOT SHARE TO iDVD as this too degrades the final DVD - BUT

Share to MediaBrowser - and as MEDIUM

And You get best possibly in Your situation. BUT Please keep in mind

DVD - can never be any better than DVD Standard - and it is - Interlaced SD-Video Quality - YES on Commersial DVD's too.

Using (also helps)

• Good DVD Brand - I only Verbatim

• Type of DVD - I use DVD-R (as they also play on older DVD-players) NEVER DVD+/-RW - only problems

• BURN SPEED - I set down to x2 or Max x4 - SO MUCH BETTER

Good Luck

Yours Bengt W

how to avoid aliasing in idvd 7.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.