Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can i update my ipad 1 ((a1219)) to ios 7 ??

iPad, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Dec 27, 2013 7:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2013 8:09 AM

Sorry, no. The one maxes out at iOS 5.1.1

28 replies

Dec 27, 2013 8:16 AM in response to yhajwan

By "ipad 1" I assume you meant 1st generation iPad?

No. Apple do not offer any support for 1st generation iPads.

Personally i think our HM Government or their US government should start an investigation into Apple.

I'm a single parent, I struggled to save up as much as I could, and my family chipped in the remaining costs for Xmas, 3 years ago, so I could manage to get the top end of 1st Generation which cost me £700, and I can't afford to get the next new iPad. Most of my apps no longer are updated, my iTunes on my 1st Generation iPad keeps crashing, even the iBooks app crashes all the time, there is no way to upgrade from iOS 5.1.1 to whatever new version of iOS they have.

You and I along with many of us who have a 1st Generation iPad won't be able to upgrade at all, most likely to be forced to throw ours alway and forced to buy a new one.

I'm not happy that they went from iOS 5 to iOS 5.1.1 then suddenly changed to iOS 6 which is not compareable with 1st Generation iPads, and left me with iTunes and iBooks that keeps crashing.

I don't know why they engineer their iOS and their iPads to move on too fast and leaving most of us forced to consider the options of buying new. It's only been 3 years for me since i bought my 1st Generation iPad and already i feel like I have a 1990's technology!!!

My Microsoft Windows 98 computer lasted me 15 years!!

Well, sorry but we 1st Generation users are finding ourselves bushed aside.

Jan 6, 2014 3:34 PM in response to yhajwan

Thank you and the others for answering my question. Here I "thought" I was computer literate with all my years or upgrading windows and microsoft's greediness. So, I thought, "hmmmm let me see if I can go on eBay and find an iPad that everyone seems to be raving about. Dumber than a rock me, on Apples, bid on an iPad that had 83 bidders vying for it. Well, I read all the details, but didn't know anything about Apple's operating systems. I got the bid, the man said it was a demo, (paid $230 which does not come easy to me, by the way) and got it quickly. It was in nice condition, hooked up to my wi fi right away, got on the internet, blah, blah, blah. Tried to get it to play one of my favorite games of mahjong from the internet, got a blank, couldn't get it to do a thing there. Got to looking at the mahjohg apps., downloaded one, liked it a fair amount....then, it starts freezing up on me. I am sitting here thinking...hmmm, I got a TOY that lets me have "some" apps...worthless!! Parden me for just venting, but I feel like that lady that wrote how she felt here. Guess Apple can't say that Bill Gates is such a greedy so and so now, right!

Feb 12, 2014 10:16 PM in response to mardifromtx

You are sooooooo right. I did almost the same thing you did. My money comes pretty hard too, I'm a 100% disabled vet supporting a party of 6, so you can see where I'm at on this. As you said, there is no warning from any of the e-bay sellers (talk about screwing the public) about the system problem, like they didn't know about this little glitch before they advertised it. And you are also right on the other count about apple in general, these IDIOTS need to get the blinders off and do what is right for the public in stead of saying, " why, yes sir, we have a easy and convient update that is sure to solve your current problem, trash your current ipad investmentr just a few hundred more bucks (for a new one) you can update to ios 7.0".

"And, as a parting gift we would like to give you this large container of patrolium jell liberally dosed with white sand". "Thank you, and come again.":

"And remember, Mr. Bill loves you"..

Apr 9, 2014 9:29 PM in response to yhajwan

Apparently Apple engineers feel that the processor in the ipad 1st gen would be too slow for ios 7. Most of the hackers think it could handle it and would be very usable, rather than a paper weight. Hello Apple! its a paper weight now. Give your customers some consideration and let them choose. And also let them choose to go back to 5.1.1 if they choose to.

Sep 26, 2014 9:03 PM in response to sharperdesigns4u

To get older Apps for your iPad 1 (assuming the developers' have kept older versions of their apps on Apple's servers), if you own a Mac or Windows PC and have latest iTunes installed, you can purchase or download free iOS apps from within iTunes, first.

Once you have paid for and downloaded an app or downloaded a free app, go back to your iPad 1 and try and download over WiFi the same app.

If an older version is still available, a pop up dialogue box will tell you if there is an older version of the app available and would you like to download and install this older version. Tap okay.

Sep 26, 2014 10:33 PM in response to mardifromtx

To get older Apps for your iPad 1 (assuming the developers' have kept older versions of their apps on Apple's servers), if you own a Mac or Windows PC and have latest iTunes installed, you can purchase or download free iOS apps from within iTunes, first.

Once you have paid for and downloaded an app or downloaded a free app, go back to your iPad 1 and try and download over WiFi the same app.

If an older version is still available, a pop up dialogue box will tell you if there is an older version of the app available and would you like to download and install this older version. Tap okay.

Sep 26, 2014 10:43 PM in response to sharperdesigns4u

This is why you do not purchase high tech electronic devices, you really have no clue about , from eBay!

There are waaay tooo many scam artists selling Apple gear that be either stolen or they have not prepared the Apple product properly for resale.

You should be buying from either a local or online Apple authorized reseller for used Apple devices and computers.

Legitimate Apple resellers will have all the pertinent info and limitations of their Apple products.

Apple resellers will have legitimate contact info like an actual contact phone number to talk to actual sales and hardware knowledgeable employees in additon to a contact email address.

Most legitimate authorized Apple resellers will have a reasonable refund policy if you are dissatisfied with an Applel product.

Plus, Apple product resellers will have some sort of stated warranty and extended warranty polices in place for their Apple wares.

Sep 26, 2014 10:49 PM in response to mardifromtx

This is why you do not purchase or bid on high tech electronic devices, you really have no clue about , from eBay!

There are waaay tooo many scam artists selling Apple gear that be either stolen or they have not prepared the Apple product properly for resale.

Plus, these types of eBay resellers will not tell you all the info you need to know about the Apple product.

WIth eBay Caveat Emptor (buyer beware) is the rule of thumb.

eBay bidders and buyers are the ones who need to research and really know what they are in the process of bidding on or buying.

If the eBay seller is NOT honest and does not have a good reputation, their is a chance that a buyer can get screwed.

You should be buying from either a local or online Apple authorized reseller for used Apple devices and computers.

Legitimate Apple resellers will have all the pertinent info and limitations of their Apple products.

Apple resellers will have legitimate contact info like an actual contact phone number to talk to actual sales and hardware knowledgeable employees in additon to a contact email address.

Most legitimate authorized Apple resellers will have a reasonable refund policy if you are dissatisfied with an Applel product.

Plus, Apple product resellers will have some sort of stated warranty and extended warranty polices in place for their Apple wares.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.