Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I enable a Wifi connection before Login Screen in Mavericks?

The Login Window Profile option is no longer available as far as I can tell. I also cannot import an existing Login Window Profile I setup on an SL machine.

The macbook is joined to our company's AD, and I need the WiFi to connect before the login screen so I can have our AD users login without a wired connection.

Please help. Thank you.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Dec 27, 2013 11:45 AM

7 replies

Jan 8, 2014 9:52 AM in response to tkmuir

You need to create an 802.1X profile using Profile Manager that you can deploy to the machines. There are a number of IT-specific white papers on using Macs in enterprise here:

http://training.apple.com/osx

Specific white papers you'll want to refer to are: "802.1X authentication":

http://training.apple.com/pdf/WP_8021X_Authentication.pdf

And "managing OS X with configuration profiles":

http://training.apple.com/pdf/wp_osx_configuration_profiles_ml.pdf

Jan 8, 2014 11:11 AM in response to William Lloyd

Thank you William, but I have already configured and deployed an 802.1x profile using Profile Manager and it did not resolve the issue.

The profile works properly and the machine connects to wifi once logged in. However, it does not connect to wifi pre-login, which prevents me from logging into network accounts since there is no way for it to authenticate with AD without a connection.

Jan 8, 2014 11:34 AM in response to tkmuir

This functionality does work. I've worked with a number of companies that have done it.

Note it's complicated though - depending on your 802.1X setup you may need to ensure the CA is configured properly, etc. Also this depends on the type of CA - mostly I've seen people using Microsoft's CA.

Refer to the sample profiles in the appendix and ensure your stuff is configured properly. If you can't get it working, you may need to contact Apple for assistance in debugging (generally these type of support incidents require a support contract). I wish it were simple, but enterprise infrastructure is _never_ simple, and is usually architected with no concern for how Macs will be connecting.

Mar 12, 2014 11:53 AM in response to tkmuir

@tkmuir

This can not be done at this time with the current OS version. The system can not auto login to wifi when at the login screen in Mavericks. Here is a link with the details: No Wireless At Login Screen

@jimewoo Even your link says that you can not have a mac connect to Wifi at the login screen or before a User has logged into the system:

"The problem remains the same, Wi-Fi user profiles are started after the user logs on, rendering Active Directory logins impossible. We couldn’t find a solution to change that behavior without the iPhone Configuration Utility."

Apr 11, 2014 8:52 AM in response to tkmuir

I'm in a similar situation with mavericks. I need to setup the Login Window Profile option as is available in 10.6.8. So ideally, at the login screen it would be a single sign in of both the laptop and the wireless. It would authenticate the user on the ad and sign them on the appropriate vlan and thereby getting specific web filtering.

I just can't seem to set up that. I can set up a sytem profile just fine but then i would have to set up a generic user and wouldn't be able to see who's signed on with what machine.

Anyone have a clue as to what i'm missing. I've been trying to use iPhone Configuration Utility (doesn't work for mavericks) and Apple Configurator, which does work for profile exporting only. I just can't find how to do what i described.

Thanks!

How can I enable a Wifi connection before Login Screen in Mavericks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.