Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Optical drive not recognized in system profile after hardware rebuild

This is an old MacBook Pro. Apple call it vintage.

Logic board died, so rather than consign it being a doorstop, I took out the logic board and "cooked" it to reflow the solder. It actually worked!

Just prior to this and just before the logic board completely bit the dust I'd inserted a DVD into the optical drive, where it sat and didn't read, wasn't recognized etc. I was trying to drop back down in OS as Lion was too resource hungry for the old machine, so it was an OS install disk. Panther I think?

So now I've got the logic board working, but I cannot remove the DVD. I tried all the tricks, including Terminal etc. On checking System Profile I noticed that the optical drive isn't even listed now. So my question is, is it possible I missed a connection etc when rebuilding the MBP after replacing the logic board? If so, thoughts on where I should look? Is there a way to "force" the OS to find the optical drive? Any thoughts on what to do?

I can't pull the optical drive as one of the screws is completely stripped and honestly, not sure if the laptop is even worth the cost of a replacement drive anyway.

Mac Book Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on Dec 27, 2013 11:53 AM

There are no replies.

Optical drive not recognized in system profile after hardware rebuild

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.