Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-1680 v2 (25M Cache, 3.00 GHz)

the maximum turbo frequency performance of this chip (as use in the new Mac Pro 8 core version i think) is 3.9GHz. How is this achieved through operating the system? i.e is it done through Mavericks?

thanks

OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), 8GB/500GB HDD/GeForce GT 330M/TNT!

Posted on Dec 27, 2013 12:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2013 12:32 PM

No, it's done on the processor itself.

Here's an explanation: Turbo Boost and the New Mac Pro’s CPUs – Marco.org

6 replies

Dec 27, 2013 3:50 PM in response to The hatter

Thanks for the link.. Made an interesting read. However I am purchasing a MacPro for only 1 main reason:FCPX. FCPX seems to be one of the very few apps that can take advantage of the multiple primary processing cores as well the new GPU configuration. Having an 8 core (despite the 'only slightly' slower clock speeds), must surely be more advantageous than having 2 less processing core's processing multiple threads.

With the current lack of support for the nMP hardware, (and that's hardly surprising considering it's only just coming out), things can only get better for the nMP. Adobe (so I've heard) are already earmarking multiple GPU support etc.

What interest me from the article is that all the E5 processors have the same thermal design point rating - does this mean they all use the same amount of power under the same processing load? Or have I misunderstood this?

Thanks.

Dec 27, 2013 4:39 PM in response to StingRay67

FCP X is the new paradigm for video editing whether we like it or not... as an old f@rt with a lot of years on the "original" I'm not thrilled, but it better utilized the hardware the app itself is gaining needed support.

You will be mainstream in the "power user" demographic, so you should buy as much of the new goods as you can afford. Don't forget Grand Central Dispatch; it came out in Snow Leopard and promised to utilize CPU/GPU cycles more efficiently in programs coded to utilize it. FCP X is one of those apps. I'd like to hear whether the D700 GPUs will kick the whole app in the butt or just speed the 4K work.

As I understand it, all the E5 chips in question have the same TDP so Turbo Boost is like a leveller, giving the best performance and staying within the maximum wattage spec.

Dec 28, 2013 5:47 AM in response to StingRay67

Your 1,1 could take 53xx processors instead of the 51xx it used. And easy for anyone who ever has.

Some discusssions wonder if slower clock is also to reduce heat and power consumpion with the 12-core. Also, that the GPU units may do their own thermal slowdown as well so you can't have the peddle to the metal on both GPU units AND on the processor core.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.