Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I move my entire music library from my iPod to a new laptop?

I don't understand why iPod users simply cannot upload and/or transfer ALL the music stored on an iPod directly onto a new laptop after going through the various how to links including this one. Why does Apple make it nearly impossible to move music from an iPod to a new machine WITHOUT backing up the entire music library file on an external drive? Here's my high-level requirement I want Apple to implement:

The ability for all iTunes users to transfer every single music file directly from their Apple device to a new computer.

Please and thank you!

Sincerely,

A loyal iTunes customer

Posted on Dec 27, 2013 1:49 PM

3 replies

Dec 27, 2013 6:24 PM in response to Colorado Native

You can transfer purchases from a device to your library. You can download your qualifying past iTunes purchases from any one of up to five simultaneously authorized computers. You can register up to 10 computers or iOS devices for automatic downloads of your purchases. You can subscribe to iTunes Match (for a fee) if you want the same kind of flexibility for all your songs, including those you ripped from CD.

It has been made deliberately hard for people to rock up a friend's house, plug in their iPod, and upload all of their media to their friend's library. That fact that it also makes it harder when you have a legitimate need to recover your media from your device is a consequence. It is still relatively easy to do so with third party tools, some free. Even easier is to backup your library routinely and move it properly when needed.

tt2

Why can't I move my entire music library from my iPod to a new laptop?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.