Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is iPhoto creating new copies of faces in my mother's photos?

My mother uses iPhoto to look at and edit her pictures. She is getting very frustrated because it seems to be making new pictures of all the faces in her photos including a lot of faces she doesn't know or want (e.g., people gathered around tables at parties). She's being overwhelmed with new copies of existing photos and these new face crops. I've looked at the Preferences and can't find anything to turn off to stop this behavior (I don't use iPhoto myself because I don't like the behavior).

For that matter, I can't seem to find out why it's creating duplicates of pictures already in her Library. To my knowledge, she's not Importing them again so there's no reason for these duplicates to keep cropping up. She was using OS X 10.6.8 on her iMac but I've just upgraded her to Mavericks.

iPhoto '08, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 27, 2013 2:47 PM

3 replies

Dec 27, 2013 2:55 PM in response to LarryHN

The faces are showing up in her iPhoto gallery. To my knowledge, she hasn't done any importing and she definitely hasn't cropped or selected these faces for anything. It seems to be creating pictures from any faces it finds in group photos but the faces are unnamed and not located in the Faces tab although they show up in the Photos tab.

Why is iPhoto creating new copies of faces in my mother's photos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.