Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airplay mirroring does not play audio on airplay speakers

Hello!

I just got an airplay enabled hi-fi system and using it with my apple tv = very nice indeed. However, I just upgraded to Mavericks to use mirroring and when I do, the sound comes from the TV speakers and not the airplay system. It seems going into mirroring reverts the airplay setting in the apple tv menu where you select the speakers. I have also tried holding down the select button on the remote which does not bring up a menu with speaker options.

Does anyone know if it is even possible to use airplay mirroring and have the audio come from airplay speakers?

Setup:

Macbook Air (mid '11) running OS X Mavericks v 10.9.1

Apple TV 3rd gen latest update

Many thanks,
Joakim

AppleTV 2, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Dec 27, 2013 4:00 PM

9 replies

Jul 12, 2014 7:59 AM in response to kordoh

I did indeed solve it. When I repaired permissions, there were a huge number that got repaired, and it took a while. Then I restarted the sending computer, and it all worked slick as can be. I only recently "upgraded" to Mavericks on this machine, and repaired permissions before that installation, so I was a bit surprised to see so many of them bolluxed-up so quickly. But now it works great.

Jul 12, 2014 8:32 AM in response to kordoh

Repairing Permissions is a fairly standard Mac maintenance procedure. The particular problem I shared with you involved mirroring from a Macbook Pro laptop which I had just upgraded to Mavericks, partly in order to have the mirroring capability.

I have used mirroring from my iPad (which doesn't have the transparency of such maintenance tasks as permissions repair on mac computers with OSX) without any issues of any kind, so I can't address how to fix the problem on those machines.

One reason I wanted to have mirroring on the MacBook Pro was to have the features I prefer on it to the iOS environment on the iPad. Easier typing, easier navigation, and, it must be said, accessible maintenance procedures.

If you're interested in repairing permissions in OSX on Mac computers, though, I'll be happy to explain it, but you'll find it discussed many, many times on these support fora.

If your iPhone/iPad have the problem with audio that I had with my MacBook, then I think you should step outside the AirPlay discussions and go directly to the support communities for those devices to learn what, if any, maintenance tasks are available to users. This is beyond my experience.

I hope you have as much luck with your iOS devices as I did on the computer in this situation!

Airplay mirroring does not play audio on airplay speakers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.