Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail - SPECIFICATIONS AND LIMITATIONS - Number of Mailboxes, Messages per Mailbox and Total Messages

What are the specifications and limitations of Apple Mail 7.1 on Mac OS X 10.9.1 (Mavericks)? In particular:

- How many mailboxes can Apple Mail handle?

- How many messages per mailbox can Apple Mail handle?

- How many messages in total (all mailboxes included) can Apple Mail handle?

For instance, can Apple Mail handle 500,000 messages, including some mailboxes with 50,000 messages inside?

Thanks.

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), Booting from internal Fusion Drive

Posted on Dec 27, 2013 4:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2013 5:05 PM

I don't think there are hard limits.

Apple Mail can easily handle 500,000 emails. I have a number of folders with 30,000 emails so I don't expect an issue with 50,000 emails in a folder. I do know of one guy who complains about Mail performance with his 2 million emails. I haven't tried that; I only have about 200,000 emails total and it's just fine.

I don't know how many mailboxes; in general I'm not a fan of too many folders. I have about 15 folders total (I have an "archive" folder and then folders for 2001-2012 for older messages that I pull off the IMAP server after they're about 18+ months old.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 27, 2013 5:05 PM in response to ApMaX

I don't think there are hard limits.

Apple Mail can easily handle 500,000 emails. I have a number of folders with 30,000 emails so I don't expect an issue with 50,000 emails in a folder. I do know of one guy who complains about Mail performance with his 2 million emails. I haven't tried that; I only have about 200,000 emails total and it's just fine.

I don't know how many mailboxes; in general I'm not a fan of too many folders. I have about 15 folders total (I have an "archive" folder and then folders for 2001-2012 for older messages that I pull off the IMAP server after they're about 18+ months old.

Jan 7, 2014 12:50 PM in response to William Lloyd

I've got 22,000 messages in my Mail folder and it's been running real slow of late. You seem to be suggesting that I should be able to handle it. However, while running Mavericks 10.9.1, I'm also running on a mid 2009 17" MacBook Pro which is getting long in the tooth.

Do you speculate that I have a h/w issue or something else might be mucking up (and slowing down) my Mail program?

Jan 7, 2014 1:58 PM in response to Savitar

What is your "mail folder?" If it's your Inbox, that's problematic. You should not leave thousands of emails in your inbox as it is updated/changed very often. File messages away; there's no performance issue with 30,000+ emails in an "archive" or other folder as I noted.

Of course, an SSD is WAY faster than a laptop hard drive. But generally your machine should be OK, unless the hard drive is very full (a hard drive should NEVER be more than 80% full or performance will drop off DRAMATICALLY), or it's starting to fail (4 1/2 years on a laptop hard drive is a very long time, it's time to upgrade the drive if nothing else).

Apple Mail - SPECIFICATIONS AND LIMITATIONS - Number of Mailboxes, Messages per Mailbox and Total Messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.