Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i plan on giving away my old macbook.

i was planing on wiping the computer and then loading the original operating system from the operating system cds i got with the computer. however it was pointed out to me that i've had many updates since then. so does anyone know if a. the updates would still be availible or b. if there is a better salution. the computer runs on 10.5.8

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Dec 27, 2013 6:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2013 11:15 AM

Hello, most of the updates are still available, here's one big one, but Software update should show that & many more...

1058 Combo Update, 10.5.8...

http://support.apple.com/downloads/Mac_OS_X_10_5_8_Combo_Update

To be sure no personal data is recoverable, it'd be best to zero the drive before reinstalling the OS...

1. Insert the Mac OS X Install disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.

2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu at the top of the screen. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)

*Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.*

3. Click the Erase tab.

4. Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.

5. Select your Mac OS X volume.

6. Highlight the drive, select Partition Tab, then Format type... MacOS Extended Journalled, select the Security Options button, choose Zero Out Data, Erase, one pass.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2013 11:15 AM in response to sageskidmore

Hello, most of the updates are still available, here's one big one, but Software update should show that & many more...

1058 Combo Update, 10.5.8...

http://support.apple.com/downloads/Mac_OS_X_10_5_8_Combo_Update

To be sure no personal data is recoverable, it'd be best to zero the drive before reinstalling the OS...

1. Insert the Mac OS X Install disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.

2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu at the top of the screen. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)

*Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.*

3. Click the Erase tab.

4. Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.

5. Select your Mac OS X volume.

6. Highlight the drive, select Partition Tab, then Format type... MacOS Extended Journalled, select the Security Options button, choose Zero Out Data, Erase, one pass.

i plan on giving away my old macbook.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.