Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen Sharing as VNC Client to Remote Linux Copy&Paste Not working

Hi,

I am using the Native Screen Sharing on MAC (Running Mavericks) as VNC Client to connect to Remote Machine (Linux Redhat Server). Every thing works fine except for Copy and Paste between the Local Mac Applications to remote. I can do copy and paste from Remote to Local MAC.

Is there an option in the Screen Sharing for me to enable this Copy and Paste from Local to Remote.

For example, I want to copy a command that I received via Mail and paste into terminal in Remote machine to execute the command. But because of copy and Paste not working, I can not do this and had to type manually.

I tried the same with RealVNC Viewer (installed on my MAC) and I don't have any problem with copy and paste.

I was trying to use Screen Sharing App instead of RealVNC if this feature works.

Ram.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Dec 27, 2013 7:39 PM

6 replies

Dec 29, 2013 7:47 PM in response to ramkal

I'm doing exactly the same thing - controlling a headless Ubuntu LTS 12.04 (running as a VM under ESXi) from my MacBook Pro using Screen Sharing. I'm having exactly the same problem as you described. I have the following functions greyed out under the Edit menu in OS X Screen Sharing: Cut, Copy, Paste, Delete, Select All, use Shared Clipboard, Get Clipboard, Send Clipboard. Additionally, the Clipboard button on the Screen Sharing toolbar is greyed out.

I can copy from the Ubuntu (via OS X Screen Sharing) and paste into OS X, but I can't do the reverse. Therefore, copying or cutting from OS X does not paste into Ubuntu; instead, what gets pasted into Ubuntu is the contents of the Ubuntu clipboard instead of the contets of the OS X clipboard.

Any help would be greately appreciated.

Jul 30, 2014 12:17 PM in response to ramkal

Has anyone been able to figure this out? I spoke with AppleCare today about this and we've verified that copy/paste in ScreenSharing works fine between two Macs. They also said that they don't support Screen Sharing to other OSs, including Linux, and suggested to look into the vncserver configuration on the Linux side.

Screen Sharing as VNC Client to Remote Linux Copy&Paste Not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.