Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't iMovie 10.0.1 let me share in 1080p HD?

I'm not sure that I am doing anything wrong, but when I go to share a movie project, the 1080p HD option is grayed out, and the next one down makes all my videos look like garbage, and thereby making the work of editing them and publishing them a complete waste of my time. Anyone have any suggestions? Please be explicit so I don't miss any potential steps to correct this. Thanks!

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Dec 27, 2013 11:34 PM

3 replies

Dec 29, 2013 5:46 AM in response to Spenceheart

Are you sure that your clips are 1080p?

Especially the first one you put in the project (which I think is what determines the resolution of the project)?

If you click on the project icon then click on Info above the Viewer window you will see the project resolution. I think you will probably find it is 720p which is the reason for not being able to share at higher resolution.

Geoff.

Dec 29, 2013 4:43 PM in response to GeeD

My iPhone 5 was used to film the videos. When I finalized it to youtube, it looked worse on youtube than it did on my phone. That is simply a downgrade of the quality to me. I feel as though I have published stuff from my iPhone before that did not look so bad.

Ok, now that I've looked at it, the quality is different. I think the internet connection caused the playback to be distorted as if it was recorded on a phone camera from 10 years ago. Seems to be a internet speed problem.

The level of the video makes sense, however, I would think they would have the 1080p option to transfer video files to a larger format so that they can be viewed on a TV?

Dec 30, 2013 1:09 AM in response to Spenceheart

The resolution, eg. 720p, 1080p is the number of pixels in the vertical direction and determines the level of detail visible in the video, not the size it is displayed - any resolution can be made to fill the screen but there would be no advantage in outputiing 1080p from a 720p input since the necessary level of detail is not present in the original.

Geoff.

Why won't iMovie 10.0.1 let me share in 1080p HD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.