Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can i make my 2011 iMac 21.5" OSX 10.8.5 behave as a wireless computer?

i have an 2011 imac desktop osx 10.8.5, how can i make behave as an wireless computer?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Dec 28, 2013 7:05 AM

7 replies

Dec 28, 2013 7:19 AM in response to SaulCG

First you have to have a Wi-Fi network to connect to, so you also need an internet connection and wireless router for your iMac to connect to. If by 'wireless' you mean like a smartphone or tablet that can connect to a cell data network, you need a data account from a local carrier and a wireless data modem that also supports Wi-Fi. Your iMac does not have a cell radio in it, only Wi-Fi.

Tell us a little more about your needs.

Dec 28, 2013 7:51 AM in response to lkrupp

i am taking my imac to a rental apt, they do have a internet connection and a wireless router and an account with

Time-Warner. I prefer not to use a very long cord to connect to their wireless router box. Can I plug in a USB

stick into my imac and get on the net "wireless" not with the very long wire (cord)

Thanks for your help.

Dec 28, 2013 7:56 AM in response to SaulCG

So long as you have WiFi turned on on your Mac in System Preferences>Network (also tick the box to show the wifi icon in the menu bar) and the wifi is turned on on the router you should 'see' the network being broadcast (assuming it is not set to be hidden on the router setup). Select the network from the wifi icon on your menu bar, input the router's wifi password and you should be good to go.

Dec 28, 2013 7:56 AM in response to SaulCG

No need for a USB, if the apartment provides Wi-Fi then all you need is the password which I'm sure they will provide you. Then you will have wireless Wi-Fi. However don't be too surprised if the connection speed is slow, with shared situations like this you are competing for bandwidth with other residents.

If you are not satisfied with the speed then buy your own router and create your own connection. You will need to work with an ISP that services that area.

Dec 28, 2013 1:15 PM in response to SaulCG

SaulCG wrote:

i am taking my imac to a rental apt, they do have a internet connection and a wireless router and an account with

Time-Warner. I prefer not to use a very long cord to connect to their wireless router box. Can I plug in a USB

stick into my imac and get on the net "wireless" not with the very long wire (cord)

Thanks for your help.

First of all you need ot find out if your landlord allows you to connect to their network. Is it part of your rental agreement? Do you need a password? Do you need to pay extra for access? Do you need a password from them? As another poster points out your iMac has Wi-Fi built in. All you need to do is turn it on. Open System Preferences -> Network -> Wi-Fi and turn it on. Your apartment's wireless network should appear if it exists. If you need a password to connect you willget that from your aprtment manager IF it's incuded in your rent.

Somehow, though, I get the impression we're not talking about the same thing. Are you moving in with someone who already has the Internet and you want to use their wireless network?

can i make my 2011 iMac 21.5" OSX 10.8.5 behave as a wireless computer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.