Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Please Help! Should I buy a New MacBook Air (mid 2013) or iPhone 5S?

Hey, guys!!

I really really need your help!

I'm in a bit of a tough situation here. I'm batteling between getting an iPhone 5S (I have an iPhone 4 so I'm waaaaay overdue for an upgrade) which I already saved up enough money for or saving up for a little longer, selling my iPad 3 and getting a MBA i5, 8Gb RAM and 256GB SSD.

Okay, the thing is, I'm a university student (so pretty much just web browsing, watching movies, wrighting papers and making presentations) and I have a MBP (and old one from about 2011) with 4Gb of RAM, which is ridiculous for a MBP, and 750Gb HDD and an iPad 3.

I did all the stuff on my MBP at home and then would take an iPad to classes to type lectures and such. But it really bothers me how few stuff I can do on an iPad if I happen to have a little break. I would've done a lot more with a laptop! But, obviously, I can't carry my laptop with me everyday cause I'm a petit girl and it's soooo **** heavy!!

So I was thinking about selling both the MBP and iPad and getting a new MBA (full loaded with i7, 8Gb and 512 SSD) but...than I accidently spilled a GIANT cup of tea right on my MBP. The battery is now completely dead and I think one of the fans might be also. And it was working suckishly at first (no surprise there) so I was all about getting a new laptop. Now that I wasn't going to sell the MBP (really, who would buy it?) I backed down on my criteria for MBA to i5, 8Gb RAM and 256GB SSD.

But today I turned on my computer and it's completely fine. Working pretty much as it was before (I haven't tried watching movies though).

So now I'm in doubts on weather I should still get a MBA or just suck it up with the iPad for classes and get a new phone.

What do you think??

I'm in a terrible need for an advice!

Posted on Dec 28, 2013 8:45 AM

9 replies

Dec 30, 2013 1:05 PM in response to PlotinusVeritas

yes, that one.

but I mean it's been nothing but great lately! everything works like it did before (even the keyboard lighting which was really surprising). now the battery is somehow back alive.

and also it's gotten a lot less noisy than it used to be and I'm actually pretty sure it's heating up less.

already backed up (plus all the important stuff I always keep in the dropbox just in case 🙂

Dec 30, 2013 1:12 PM in response to oxanaana

Thats what often happens, seen it often. Youre in the 'dry' phase now.

next comes the corrosion phase Im afraid.

notebook is wet .....doesnt work...people get upset and depressed.

it gets dry (mostly).....works good or great.....people get happy and hopeful

corrosion sets in and its all downhill.........

You need to bring it in to an Apple shop for evaluation, however you can wait for it to fail shortly.

whatever you do, backup your data ASAP.

Jan 1, 2014 3:57 AM in response to oxanaana

This is like asking "how long is a piece of string". There is no usual time - your laptop may last hours, days, weeks or longer. I advise you back up everything you want to keep NOW, continue using the laptop and continue updating your backup daily (at least).

Perhaps you will be lucky and get months of use out of your laptop, perhaps it will fail tomorrow. Odds are that it WILL fail at some point and you will need to replace it. Having a full backup means that you won't lose your precious files.

Please Help! Should I buy a New MacBook Air (mid 2013) or iPhone 5S?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.