Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I make my iPhone leave a copy of e-mails on my server.

I have a BT internet account which I use with my PC and my iPad. The iPad is set to leave all messages on my server for subsequent download to my PC on which I keep a copy of all messages. I have now got an iPhone but I cannot select it to do the same. So when I read a message on my iPhone it is deleted and I cannot download it and deal with it later on my PC.

How do I make my iPhone leave the message on the server? The selections options are not the same for the iPad and iPhone, even though both use IOS 7.0.4

Alan Johnson

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Dec 28, 2013 8:44 AM

3 replies

Dec 28, 2013 8:50 AM in response to W A Johnson

What type of email account is this, POP, IMAP, Exchange? If this is a POP account, there should be a setting in the Incoming Mail area of the individual account setting to leave mail on the server. Go to Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars, select the mail account in question, go to the Advanced button, scroll down and you should see under Incoming Settings the ability to select Delete from server.

Dec 29, 2013 8:46 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Chris,

Thanks for your reply. I am indeed using an IMAP account on my iPhone, but the problem is that I am using the same account on both my iPad and my new iPhone, both using the same ios. .

When on the iPad I go to Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars>Account, I get a pop-up overlay on which there is an Advanced option which takes me to a page whereI can select an option under the Incoming Settings section to 'Delete from Server' on which I have selected 'Never' (The Server Port is 110).

When on iPhone, and I go to Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars>Account, I get a similar page but when I select Advanced I get where the Advanced option appears in the iPad under the Incoming Settings , ther is simply a statement saying 'IMAP Path Prefix /', and the server port is 143.

Any suggestions, please?

Alan Johnson

Dec 29, 2013 1:12 PM in response to W A Johnson

You must not be using IMAP on the iPad. The setting that you are describing is only available for POP accounts. IMAP accounts do not have a setting for deleting email from the server, because that is where they are always stored. Once you delete a mail from the server, it cannot be accessed by any device. There is no local storage for IMAP mail.

The only way the mail would be deleted from the server on the phone is if you delete it from the Inbox, or move it to another folder. That would move it/delete it from the server, thus make it unable to be accessed by the PC. Also, are you sure the mail account on the PC is setup for IMAP as well?

How can I make my iPhone leave a copy of e-mails on my server.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.