Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how much does it cost to get genius bar help?

I have a 3 year old macbook pro. Unfortunately, I can't back it up using time machine. I have an external hard drive, I get the process started, but it never goes anywhere. I'd like to bring it down to have someone at the genius bar help me out with it, but I'm not sure whether I'd have to pay for that help. Is there a cost?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 28, 2013 9:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2013 9:44 AM

Welcome to Apple Support Communities

It is free to take your Mac to the Genius Bar and get it diagnosed. However, you will have to pay if your Mac needs to be repaired

3 replies

Dec 28, 2013 9:58 AM in response to nicknook

If you are not having any other problems other than not being able to do a Time Machine backup to the extrnal drive you have I suspect it is the external drive that is either formatted incorrectly for a Mac computer and for Time Machine to work properly or it is the drive itself is faulty.

With the drive connected to your mac Open Disk Utility. You'll find it in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder. Highlught that drive name and look at the botton righ of the Disk Utility window. It must say GUID Partition Table next he Partition Map Scheme and be formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled). If it says MBR and is formatted NTFS that drive is formatted for Window. You can reformat it to the Mac format in Disk Utility.

User uploaded file

how much does it cost to get genius bar help?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.