Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

will aperture 2 work with mavericks?

I have just upgraded to this Mac and was not succcesful in getting my Aperture 2 to work properly, is this possible.

Posted on Dec 28, 2013 9:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2013 9:28 AM

No. You must have Aperture 3 at least for Mavericks.

Allan

7 replies

Dec 28, 2013 9:33 AM in response to mwphotos

Not in any meaningful way.

Aperture 2 has been a problem since the release of Lion. While Apple has never officially stated that it will not work given the number of posts from users trying to use 2 on OS's since Lion lead to this conclusion.

Your best chance of success is to upgrade to version 3. If you still have access to the old system and Aperture 2 run a library repair on all the version 2 libraries before trying to upgrade them in Aperture 3. It will make things go smoother.

In any case make sure you have good working backups of all your Aperture 2 libraries before doing the upgrade.

regards

Message was edited by: Frank Caggiano

Dec 28, 2013 9:36 AM in response to mwphotos

To provide some evidence for Allan's and Frank's answer:

Just have a look at the last Release Notes for Aperture 2: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3604

Archived - Aperture: About the 2.1.4 software updatehttp://support.apple.com/kb/HT3604

The last compatibility update ever was for Snow Leopard - there were no new compatibility updates at all for Lion, Mt. Lion, or Mavericks.

Jan 26, 2014 1:07 AM in response to Mark P NZ

We have no idea how long you will have to wait for a hypothetical Aperture 4. For two years Apple has added all improvements to Aperture 3 instead of releasing a new major upgrade. I for one, I am content with getting the improvements for free as part of Aperture 3, instead of having to pay for a new version number "release 4".

Even, if you only want to use iPhoto with Mavericks, it would be a much smoother transit to iPhoto, if you could convert your Aperture 2 ".appprojects" to Aperture 3 libraries. Then iPhoto could open them like an iPhoto library and you would save all your editing and tagging work. Aperture 3 is a great companion for working with iPhoto, see: Aperture 3.3: Using a unified photo library with iPhoto and Aperture

Does anyone in your family or a friend own Aperture 3.5.1 and could upgrade your Aperture 2 libraries for you? Then iPhoto 9.5.1 on Mavericks could open your Aperture libraries for you losslessly, once you upgrade to Mavericks.

will aperture 2 work with mavericks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.