Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best practice question regarding media

Okay, I've finally decided to convert all of my old VHS and MiniDV tapes to .mov files so I can host them on my Plex server for family & friends across the country to be able to view them online.

All of these tapes contain various recordings that feature each of my children, family gatherings, vacations, holidays etc. As I recorded them, I basically would use a tape and fill it to completion and then move on to the next tape and fill it. So recordings were all chronological in time but were not separated in the areas mentioned above.

Any tips on how to ensure I don't miss using any footage and how to organize things in FCP? I envision importing a single .mov file from the tapes and then plan on extracting the individual clips for use in their separate areas. I'd like to have an event in FCP for each child, vacation etc. and then separate projects in each event to separate years, location etc.

Anyone else done something similar, any helpful hints etc? Thanks, daunting task but hopefully it'll be made easier with a good organized way to do it. Appreciate any advice!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Dec 28, 2013 9:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2013 10:39 AM

I don't think there is a single solution that would apply to everyone.

If it were my project, I'd probably organize things chronologically – creating a folder for each year for the ingested files. Then I'd create separate libraries for each of those folders and then separate Events for themes like trips, milestones, etc. Then different projects for specific "episode's" (e.g,. "Jane's middeschool graduation").

I'm sure others will have other (and probably better) ideas.

Good luck with your project.

Russ

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2013 10:39 AM in response to 105437

I don't think there is a single solution that would apply to everyone.

If it were my project, I'd probably organize things chronologically – creating a folder for each year for the ingested files. Then I'd create separate libraries for each of those folders and then separate Events for themes like trips, milestones, etc. Then different projects for specific "episode's" (e.g,. "Jane's middeschool graduation").

I'm sure others will have other (and probably better) ideas.

Good luck with your project.

Russ

Dec 28, 2013 1:44 PM in response to Russ H

Thanks Russ... I failed to mention that I will be using FCP 10.1. I know there are some changes in 10.1 that relate to media management and hierarchy. It's going to be an overwhelming amount of footage to deal with. Is there a good way to know for sure what is in a "production" timeline and what is not? That would help me know if I missed anything along the way.

Best practice question regarding media

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.