Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to move both My and My Wifes iTunes and iPhoto library to our new NAS and access them over the internet?

I will be purchasing a Synology DS412+ in the next week, and My wife and I would like to centralize our data. We will both be moving our iTunes and iPhoto libraries to the NAS. Now I already know how to set that all up. My question now, is how can we access these libraries over the internet? I would still like to beable to sccess my libraries when im out and about, does anyone have any suggestions? Preferably something that could work seamless that we dont really need to think about, we can just open iTunes or iPhoto and everything is just there, (aside from the delay of data haveing to be streamed in ofcourse.)

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 28, 2013 10:48 AM

6 replies

Dec 28, 2013 2:57 PM in response to ReLink201

Moving the iPhoto library to the NAS won't work reliably:

iPhoto: Issues with FAT32-formatted drives

As a workaround, you can put the library on a disk image and put that on the NAS.

If you want to try it with the iTunes library, there are a couple of tutorials here:

How to relocate your iTunes Library to a NAS

How to offload your iTunes library to a NAS

Dec 28, 2013 3:24 PM in response to Linc Davis

Huh? I think maybe you misunderstood me. I do not have a Mac desktop of anykind, all I have is my Macbook pro which comes to work with me everyday, so I dont think back to my mac would be of much help. I want to offload both my iTunes and iPhoto libraries to my NAS at my home. I know how to access the libraries on my macbook from the NAS when Im at home. What I am trying to figure out is how to maintain access to them when I am not home. I am trying to store my libraries on the NAS at home, and access them in itunes or iphoto on my macbook pro when im at work, or at a friends.

Dec 28, 2013 3:35 PM in response to ReLink201

If you're asking how to make the NAS directly accessible from the Internet, then you should refer to the manufacturer's documentation. That's not a question about an Apple product and it's beyond the scope of this site. You would need a wide-area Bonjour setup with appropriate DNS records, firewalling, and port forwarding at the gateway. My opinion is that you shouldn't do it, or else that you should hire a network consultant, because it would be a very complex project. Good luck.

I want to move both My and My Wifes iTunes and iPhoto library to our new NAS and access them over the internet?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.