Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems Using Roaming Guest Network on AC Airports

After several hours of frustrating failure, I figured it was time to seek out smarter people for my issue.

I'm running three new AC Airports - the primary router is a new Time Capsule and I also have 2 Extremes. The current setup is as follows:

Motorola SB6120 Cable Modem --> Time Capsule with DHCP and NAT and Creating a main WIFI network (NAME1) + Guest Network with no password (NAME 2) --> (LAN PORT) Dumb 8 Port Netgear Gigabit switch --> (WAN PORT) Airport Extreme 1 in DHCP Internet + Bridge mode and creating a main network (NAME 1) + Guest network with no password (NAME 2)

--> (WAN PORT) Airport Extreme 2 in DHCP Internet + bridge mode and creating a main network (NAME 1) + Guest network with no password (NAME 2)

All routers running the latest firmware and running the latest Airport Utility.

My issue: I cannot get the guest networks on Extreme 1 or 2 to operate correctly. Devices cannot connect. My iPhone, for instance, just spins and spins and spins and never connects. The Guest network on my main TC works fine.

I know some people have gotten this to work, so I'd love to see what I'm doing wrong. Perhaps I should be connecting the two Extremes on their LAN port instead of WAN? No idea.

Any help would be appreciated.

Posted on Dec 28, 2013 11:29 AM

10 replies

Dec 28, 2013 1:41 PM in response to Yaser Herrera

Motorola SB6120 Cable Modem --> Time Capsule with DHCP and NAT and Creating a main WIFI network (NAME1) + Guest Network with no password (NAME 2) --> (LAN PORT) Dumb 8 Port Netgear Gigabit switch --> (WAN PORT) Airport Extreme 1 in DHCP Internet + Bridge mode and creating a main network (NAME 1) + Guest network with no password (NAME 2)

Looks OK so far, but unless you set things up using Apple's "wizard" some features will likely not work correctly.

In other words, if you tried to set up the AirPort Extreme manually.....even though it might appear that you have the correct roaming settings....things may not work correctly.

I suspect that Apple does some goofy things with AirPort Utility.

So, all that I can do is tell you what works for me....and has worked fine since the day that Apple introduced the 7.6.3 firmware that allows the extension of the Guest Network option. That firmware is now 7.6.4 on most AirPorts and up to 7.7.2 on the new Time Capsule and new AirPort Extreme.

Assuming that you have verified that the Time Capsule is functioning correctly, here is what I would suggest:

Power off AirPort Exteme 2 for now

Hard reset AirPort Exreme 1 by holding in the reset button on the back of the device for 10 seconds. Release and allow a full minute for the AirPort Extreme to restart to a slow, blinking amber light.

Temporarily, connect a spare Ethernet cable....any length will do.....from a LAN <-> port on the Time Capsule to the WAN "O" port on AirPort Extreme 1 and power the AirPort back up.

Open Macintos HD > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility

Click on the Other Wi-Fi Devices button

AirPort Setup will open up automatically and take a minute to analyze the network, then suggest that AirPort Extreme 1 be configured to extend the Time Capsule network.

Enter a device name that you want to use for AirPort Extreme 1........AE1, for example and then click Next

Now notice that the message will indicate that AE1 is being configured to extend the Time Capsule network using Ethernet.

When you see the message of setup complete, click Done

If your temporarily Ethernet cable connection is long enough to allow AE1 into the next room or two, you can test AE1 for proper operation at this point.

Otherwise, move AE1 back to its normal location connected to the switch and test that way.

Test with a Mac....iOS devices are not very good about working in a roaming network. If you want to test using an iOS device, turn off the Wi-Fi on the device for a minute, then turn it back on.

You need to do this on most iOS devices when you move them around a roaming network....since iOS devices in general will not automatically switch to pick up the signal from the closest wireless access point when you move the iOS from location to location.

If things are working with AE1, then reconfigure AirPort Extreme 2 in the same way.

Oct 30, 2014 9:58 PM in response to Bob Timmons

I believe I'm hitting a similar issue, but with somewhat different behavior of the guest network. My case is as follows:

• Time Capsule "ac" with latest firmware as router with both main network and guest network enabled;
  • Airport Extreme "ac" with latest firmware connected as per roaming network configuration, i.e. Ethernet cable between Time Capsule and Airport Extreme, same SSIDs and security modes for both main and guest network as in the Time Capsule.

Main network works perfectly and with expected performances. Instead, guest network behaves inconsistently. Specifically:

• Clients can correctly connect to the guest network;
  • RSSI and Noise levels for the guest network are nicely aligned with those of the main network;
  • Uplink throughput on the guest network is nicely aligned with uplink throughput on the main network;
  • Downlink throughput on the guest networks is at unusable levels (<1Mbps).

If I power-off the Airport Extreme, everything works perfectly for both the main and the guest network. I've tried using the Airport Extreme alone, and everything works perfectly, which confirms that the unit is not defective. All in all, it looks like a coordination problem between the two base stations. Maybe a bug in the firmware?

Any suggestion greatly appreciated!

Oct 31, 2014 2:53 PM in response to Paolo Fiorini

It is proof of concept only.. As I said.. I think you will find guest network is handled ok in extend wireless mode but will not work in roaming.. you are simply attempting to establish what is really possible .. and to do that moving both devices into the same room and testing is well worth the effort.

Then you can setup your roaming network.. but simply use a separate cheap AP for your guest network. That can be plugged into the AE and setup on a different IP range.. to match the AE used as main router. I have not tested it but there is a good chance it will work.

Sometimes Apple make their setups over simple.. and since the v6 of the airport utility and the new AC models.. you have no logging and no controls and so little info leaks out of their system.. anyone would think they are making clams not routers.

Simple basic setups work fine.. it is as soon as you go beyond that .. then you hit these kinds of issues because the controls simply are not there.

Oct 31, 2014 3:06 PM in response to LaPastenague

Well, nothing is more frustrating when folks are having problems than the guy who posts to say......."it works for me".

Connecting the AirPorts using Ethernet......roaming......works fine for me. Always has, since firmware 7.6.3 was offered.

All AirPorts must be simultaneous dual band models

All AirPorts must use firmware 7.6.3 or higher

AirPort Utility 6.3 or higher must be used to set up the "main" AirPort first, then the next AirPort.

The "main" AirPort must be set up in a Router Mode of DHCP and NAT

I doubt that you will be able to add an extending AirPort without first starting all over again from scratch on the "main" AirPort.

Oct 31, 2014 3:11 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Connecting the AirPorts using Ethernet......roaming......works fine for me. Always has, since firmware 7.6.3 was offered.

He is using AC model I guess on 7.7.3

I don't see anything wrong with his setup.. but if it doesn't work I think it can be easier to move things around and do the proof of concept.

I doubt that you will be able to add an extending AirPort without first starting all over again from scratch on the "main" AirPort.

Absolutely right.. and IMHO that is good thing.. if you are going to find what is the issue now.. since logging and other such sophisticated operations are beyond apple.. how else do you discover what is going wrong.

Oct 31, 2014 5:57 PM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks guys! Yep, I'll give a try to wireless extended mode asap. It's not that I'm not willing to reconfigure everything over and over again... just that the installation is at a friend's home, and I don't have continuous access to it.

LaPastenague is right. I'm using brand new AC versions of both Time Capsule and Airport Extreme, and both running 7.7.3.

@Bob - Is that the same for you? I mean, do you have AC models or older models?

The really frustrating thing is that all connectivity is in place, and all clients connect promptly with addresses assigned out of the correct pools (192.168.1.x for main network, 172.16.0.x for the guest network). It's just that downlink performances on the guest network are completely off... while uplink is perfect. To give you a more precise idea, these are typical throughputs for the 2.4GHz channels measured with speedtest.net:

Main network - down 24.06, up 12.15

Guest network - down 0.26, up 11.81 (!!!!)

If I power-off the Airport Extreme, downlink values for the guest network get aligned with those of the main network.

What type of problem do you guys think can mess up the downlink while the uplink works nicely?

Oct 31, 2014 6:16 PM in response to Paolo Fiorini

Guest network - down 0.26, up 11.81 (!!!!)

I have seen several reports of it happening.. AFAIK or remember there was no solution.

Yes,, it is typical.

Extended guest network slow

So test on extend.. but you might find exactly the same issue as with roaming.

With the effort Apple put into end user support after removing logs and SNMP and any sort of useful access to the links.. I am not sure you are going to get very far without setting up very extensive test gear.. eg wire shark and some way to measure packet speeds. A managed switch also would be useful.

What I would do is have a test using a bit more control.. set fixed channels and link things so you have more careful look at what is going on. But it is clear the Guest Network is treated as the poor second cousin.

Oct 31, 2014 6:50 PM in response to Yaser Herrera

WOW - Thanks for the link to the other case. At least I know I'm not alone. I'm really not an expert of 802.11, but the issue seems somehow related to coordination/scheduling between the two access points rather than to networking.

I'll go ahead and test on wireless extension asap. I think also the suggestion to manually set the channels is a good one to minimize uncertainties. But at this point it would be nice to know... IS ANYONE FROM APPLE SUPPORT LISTENING? IF SO, HAVE YOU GUYS TESTED ROAMING + GUEST NETWORK?

I know well this is not the way it works, but I couldn't resist trying ;o)

Problems Using Roaming Guest Network on AC Airports

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.