Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I take store bought DVD and move them to my mac to watch on my iPad or iPhone later

How do I take store bought DVD and move them to my mac to watch on my iPad or iPhone later

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Dec 28, 2013 2:07 PM

2 replies

Dec 30, 2013 1:23 PM in response to TELock

Hey TELock,

Some DVD and Blu-ray titles come with an iTunes Digital Copy, where you get a digital version of your movie in addition to the DVD or Blu-ray version. That would be the way to watch them on your iPad or iPhone, and you can read about how to redeem them here:

Redeeming an iTunes Digital Copy

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1539

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

Cheers,

Delgadoh

Dec 30, 2013 1:33 PM in response to TELock

Expanding on what Delgadoh said, if you're referring to commercial and hence copy-protected video DVDs, breaking the copy protection, which would be necessary to copy the videos from the DVD and convert them, is illegal in the US (and other countries) and hence Apple explicitly forbids such posts. We're therefore not allowed to discuss it here. Some DVDs and Blu-Ray movies as Delgadoh said come with a "digital copy" that allows you to download a copy of the movie for use on computers and portable devices. You might see if any of the DVDs you have come with such a feature. Walmart/Vudu also has a service that basically gives you a digital copy of a DVD you already own. See:

http://www.vudu.com/disc_to_digital.html

Other DVD/Blu-Ray vendors may now or soon have similar services.

If these are home movies that you or someone has burned to DVD and hence are not copy-protected, Handbrake (freeware) is one of the more popular converters. Once converted, you just drag the movie into the iTunes window on your computer.

Regards.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.