Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Merging multiple PDF files in Mavericks

I have done some research in the forums about merging multiple PDF files into a single file using Preview. There was some information but it was pertaining to Snow Leopard and Lion but I tried it anyway and as a test I have successfully merged four PDF files into one using the process of opening the files in Preview and then dragging one file into the other until they are all one file. However, the process is somewhat "fragile" in that you have to be really carefull when dragging the files together or at least it seemed that way on my system. My test was with only four files but if I had to merge a substantial number files I could envision the process becoming very tedious. I know that I could also use a program such as Acrobat XI to acheive these results but I'd rather not have to buy a another program if I don't have to.

So my question is, is there a new or more efficient way to batch merge many PDF files into one in the Mavericks OS environment?

My system is running OS X Mavericks 10.9.1 on a Mac Mini.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and expertise.

Mac mini (Mid 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), Corsair 128GB SSD, 16GB DDR3 RAM,

Posted on Dec 28, 2013 2:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2014 11:44 AM

Try this: Open the .pdf documents with Preview. Go to View>Thumbnails so that Thumbnails are displayed. Select the Thumbnails you want to combine. Go to Print. In the Print screen, go to PDF in lower left corner. Click on "Save as PDF." You should get a screen allowing you to rename the combined document. Hit Save.

14 replies

Jan 22, 2014 2:02 PM in response to HaroldandMaud

Thank you for the reply, your method of selecting files in Preview and selecting "Save as PDF" in the Print window worked fine. I also realized that after selecting the files to merge in Preview you can also go to the File menu and select "Export as PDF" to acheive the same result of combining multiple files.

Appreciate your help.

Apr 9, 2014 8:06 PM in response to sjc47

I can drag each PDF file into one and then Save, but it only saves the one page that is highlighted at the moment. I've tried hitting Save, Duplicate and then Save, Export, and Export as PDF. I've also tried highlighting all of them after I've drug them into the same PDF before I Export. It only ever saves one at a time. This is so frustrating and shouldn't be this hard. Please help!

Apr 10, 2014 12:34 PM in response to StephGRiCh

If I am reading your comments correctly it sounds like you are adding an unnecessary step. Once you have opened all the files to be merged in Preview you don't have to drag one on top of the other to create one file before saving as PDF.

After you have opened each file in Preview they will be individually listed in the left pane of the Preview window. Just press and hold the CMD key and select each file to be merged. Once all files are selected go to File > Print > PDF drop down menu > Save as PDF > Select your save destination > press Save.

A couple of things to note,

I"ve noticed that the files I open in Preview will show up in the merged PDF in the order in which I selected them in Preview so just be aware of that if you want your files to be in a certain order when merged together.

I have done some further experimentation with the Export as PDF option mentioned above and it doesn't seem to work so that's my bad. I thought that it gave the same result as the Print function but apparently not in my tests.

May 8, 2014 6:47 AM in response to sjc47

There is an easier way of merging a number of PDFs into one PDF file.

If you open the pdf in preview which is intended to be the first page in your final file, and then click Edit -> Insert -> Page from file it will direct you to your filing system where you can select another pdf file from any other file in your system, it will add it to the page already opened. You can repeat this process untill you have all the pages you need.

Once all the pages are included then you can just save the final file with all its pages using the print function discribed in the first response.

This is the easiest way to do this.

Jun 2, 2014 10:33 AM in response to anyusernameleft

I can never remember that I need to save it by doing the Print as a PDF; I just want to save it.

For me, the green plus sign worked okay, as long as I understood how...

Here's the best explanation I've seen of the process that lets me do it the "old way" I first learned with: http://macintoshhowto.com/pdf/how-to-merge-2-pdf-files-with-os-x-mavericks-10-9. html (I can't take credit for it, but I think it's really good!)

Jul 22, 2014 1:28 PM in response to TodFromIndiana

Yes, it can get a lot easier than that. Drag and drop is what Apple invented in 1985 and now seems to have forgotten. You should't have to do "research", you should drag and drop files into the thumbnail display from other thumbnails or stand alone files, to assemble multi-page PDFs visually like it used to be, before they used the same interface to display multiple files. Other files should be fenced off with a nice thick line, and an obvious triangle to show or hide thumbnails of subsequent pages in the case of multipage files. (Or at least the green plus button should work reliably).

I am just opening the first file in PDF Pen (PDF annotation program); things work very fluidly as described above, then just save the file, the way Preview used to be.

Merging multiple PDF files in Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.