Skip navigation

Elgato Video Capture to convert old VHS - H.264 or MPEG-4?

325 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 29, 2013 2:13 PM by Ken Hart RSS
105437 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Dec 28, 2013 3:59 PM

Elgato offers two different settings for capturing video...

Video resolution: 640×480 (4:3)

Video format: H.264 at 1.4 MBit/sec or MPEG-4 at 2.4 MBit/sec

Audio: AAC, 48kHZ, 128 kBit/sec

Which one of these would be best for importing into FCPX v10.1?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)
  • Ken Hart Level 1 Level 1 (120 points)

They should both import with no problems.  You have to choose between file size and quality.  There may not be much of a notable difference between the two with standard definition video.

I've tried all the settings on my Elgato and have settled with the default MPEG4.  The other settings don't look significantly different, but do produce different sized files.

• Ken Hart Level 1 Level 1 (120 points)

If you have a good quality VHS recording, your Elgato capture should also be pretty good.  Other factors include in how good of a condition the tape itself is in and that your VCR can play it smoothly.

You should clean the VCR play heads and maybe play through the tape or wind rewind it once to make sure the tape is tensioned properly and plays smoothly.

Others have suggested in similar threads a Canopus capture device which also puts a time code in the captured video, if you have hundreds of tapes you may want to check it out.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.