Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

File size and quality issues Quicktime -> FCP

Hello,

I borrowed a friend's computer today to try to help me with a project I am working on. I created a video using Quicktime and saved it in 1080 HD. I then exported that video to Final Cut to edit it and post online. The raw video plays perfectly on my computer in Quicktime. It is crystal clear. When I import it to Final Cut, it is no longer HD. The other weird thing is the original file straight from quicktime is only 441 MB, but after I exported the edited video (which is much shorter than the original) it is now 11 GB. How do I get a small file size while also preserving the video quality?

OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 28, 2013 5:33 PM

7 replies

Dec 28, 2013 7:28 PM in response to I.C.Progress

FCE has limits and only deals with fixed resolution sizes.

Any imported file that hits the Timeline will be conformed to the existing Easy Setup specs.

DV, HDV and AVCHD are the only options that FCE will work with correctly.

Your import is most likely being blown up to conform and image quality and size are compromised.

Also FCE fed adults to an SD NTSC Timeline and clips added will be forced to conform.

Can you provide info or screen shots of the Clip and Sequence Properties please?

Right click a clip icon in the Browser and select Item Properties to get the info.

Do the same for the Sequence Icon.

Al

Dec 29, 2013 7:24 PM in response to I.C.Progress

What we need are the clip properties & sequence settings in Final Cut Express. Your screenshot is from a Finder window.

It would appear you have a clip with nonstandard frame size (1366x768) in an H.264 file. FCE cannot edit this material. FCE is limited to specific codecs and frame sizes. You need to convert your clip to QuickTime/Apple Intermediate Codec. If it's highdef widescreen then convert it to QT/AIC 1920x1080i. Try using MPEG Streamclip to convert the source clip.

You also need to be using a matching Easy Setup in Final Cut Express. If your source media file is QT/AIC 1920x1080i then you should select the AVCHD Apple Intermediate Codec 1920x1080i60 Easy Setup in FCE -AND- then create a new sequence before importing your clip into FCE and placing it in your sequence (timeline)

Dec 30, 2013 2:06 PM in response to I.C.Progress

Hey Guys, thanks for the help this far. The screenshot I uploaded was different than what is displayed. Something weird happening there. Also, I am not using Final Cut Express. I am using Final Cut Pro.

Thank you Martin, I'm going to try that site now. Hopefully that works. Yes, I believe my video may be a non-standard wide screen size. It was a "New Screen Recording" from Quicktime of what I was doing on my friends 11" MacBook Air. I'm trying to make a demonstration video of the new software I just developed.

File size and quality issues Quicktime -> FCP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.