Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audio clicks/pops since Mavericks upgrade

Ever since the upgrade to OSX 10.9, I've been experiencing frequent clicks/pops in MainStage 3's output with the same buffer/processor core settings as before. What's strange is that the CPU doesn't seem to be spiking at all, and there isn't anything else taxing the computer. Higher buffer settings help a little bit, but even at a level of 256 samples I'm still getting more degraded output as compared to Mountain Lion. It doesn't seem to be plugin-specific... the problem is present in Apple's AU's as well as third-party plugins like Kontakt and Ivory II. Using standalone instruments outside of MainStage doesn't produce the same clicks/pops, even at lower buffer settings. I'm not using an external sound card/interface.

Things I've tried:

-Different buffer settings, as mentioned above - using MainStage 3 before the upgrade at 64 samples (with safety buffer) was great

-Removed MainStage as well as the associated preference files and reinstalled

-Created new concerts/patches rather than using preexisting ones

Any suggestions? My last resort would be trying a clean install of Mavericks or reverting to Mountain Lion, but I don't really have a strong desire to do either of those... Thanks in advance for your help!

HW: 2012 MBP Retina at 2.6 GHz

SW : OSX 10.9.1 Mavericks, MainStage 3.0.2 using Kontakt 5, XLN Addictive Keys, Ivory II

MainStage, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), 2012 MBP Retina, Mainstange 3.0.2

Posted on Dec 28, 2013 5:38 PM

12 replies

Jan 6, 2014 9:20 AM in response to picardythird

Sadly, I just started getting these kinds of issues as well. I was doing great in December (was able to even run a 17 song concert for a worship night). I am running a 2009 MBP even! Then, just last night- it all went downhill. Pops and clicks- fans were running full speed. I almost think it has to do with the new year and something buggy that was triggered by 2014. It took me hours to create a 5 set concert (with making custom Omnisphere patches and multis). Something is wrong and I have heard of a fellow musician with a 2013 fully loaded MBP that was experiencing the same kinds of issues. Apple, please investigate- something is very wrong.

Mar 24, 2014 6:32 PM in response to picardythird

I was having a similar problem, clicks from the speaker at random intervals. The core audio was also crashing constantly. I disabled AirPlay by removing the launch agent file, which keeps it from launching at startup. Haven't had any problems or clicking since. AirPlay seems to cause a lot of issues in mavericks. move the airplay agent file from system/library/launchagents to your desktop and reboot. if it doesn't fix it, just move the launch agent file back.

May 13, 2014 6:03 AM in response to h118

I've had this problem as well for a month since the upgrade to Mavericks. Sometimes more annoying, sometimes less.

I tried this suggestion as well but it did not help in my case. I also tried just switching the wifi off, but that did not help either.

Then I thought about pausing both my Google Drive and Drop Box software and after doing that the clicks went away - I haven't had the clicks now for two days even though I switched the Sync-ing back on. Optimistic at the moment.

I've just run into another thread about clicking after it went away on my laptop, but that's about Logic. Maybe something also worth trying if the issue shows up again and turing off sync-ing doesn't help?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5332783?answerId=23277352022#23277352022

Audio clicks/pops since Mavericks upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.