Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

G5 Power pc to Imac Intel

Hello, I have got the latest iMac using Maverick but all my previous work on computer is on my power pc g5 using osx 10.5, and I would like to move files to the new iMac as well use the external hard drives that contains files of photos, iMovie clips, music, pages, numbers etc etc.. so what is the best way of us to use to move or open them and use on Maverick, guess convert, to use ??? and what are the risks ?

PowerPC G5, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Dec 28, 2013 7:14 PM

13 replies

Dec 28, 2013 7:20 PM in response to woodie53

All PowerPC code will not execute on the new iMac

If any of the data was created using AppleWorks, you should translate it to another application on the PPC G5 Mac first because AppleWorks is not supported nor can you translate the data on the new iMac

If you use Setup Assistant which will ask you if you wish to restore data from another Mac at the first startup that could be your best way to go.

Allan

Dec 28, 2013 8:15 PM in response to Allan Eckert

Now I am getting somewhere...

So it is fact I can open files stored on the G5 PowerPC computer drives via the new imac intel with Maverick and save them on the imac... sounds good so far...

but by using snow leopard on the imac can I use the maverick and snow leopard at the same time? does the imac handle both operating systems ? or do I need to something ?

What is the procedure ...

And will I be able to open the iphoto files on the G5 and move them on to the new intel based imac/

Jan 2, 2014 6:22 PM in response to Allan Eckert

Allan Eckert wrote:

If your iMac came with Mavericks you can install Snow Leopard on it.

Not exactly right. You can install it, but not without significant difficulty, as is outlined here.

You are better off getting another Mac running a maximum of 10.6.8 to convert any data your old Mac can't convert off the bat. The migration assistant can only be used directly to another PowerPC Mac, which can max out at 10.5.8. Otherwise migrating the data, look over this entire tip. Mind you, if you run 10.5 or higher, the 2001 operating system of Mac OS 9 will no longer work side by side with Mac OS X in what is known as Classic. It doesn't work at all on an Intel Mac at all.

Jan 3, 2014 2:00 AM in response to Allan Eckert

These guys do not know what they are talking about and they are just confusing you.

Just copy your old files over to your new iMac and the current version of all the software will open them (Numbers, iPhoto, etc).

The easiest way is to just connect an Ethernet cable between the two computers. It does not need to be a "crossover" cable.

The second easiest wa is to boot the G5 into target disk mode by holding command + T when the boot chime sounds, then connect the G5 to the iMac with a FireWire cable. The G5 will work as a simple external drive.

Jan 3, 2014 6:58 AM in response to DieselFuelForLife

DieselFuelForLife,

You can't force an Intel Mac that can't boot into 10.6.8 to understand Rosetta without virtualization.

Appleworks document (paint documents, database documents are especially succeptable, word process documents and spreadsheet documents are more portable) have to be converted to something more portable if you get a newer than July 20, 2011 Mac, or you have to virtualize 10.6.8 Server on the Mac.

Quicken does have Intel Mac native version of Quicken, but the oldest version of Quicken can't be converted directly into it, except for the QIF files themselves. And that doesn't contain everything.

Virtualizing 10.6.8 Server with Parallels is the workaround I'm alluding to in my link.

Pre-July 20, 2011 Macs can with the right discs install 10.6.8 and use those old PowerPC applications.

Applications that are newer than 2006 generally don't have this problem. But it is important to make that distinction. If you don't, someone migrating from a G5 to Intel will be in for nasty upgrade costs, and data conversion surprises.

Jan 4, 2014 8:48 AM in response to DieselFuelForLife

Just because he hasn't listed his Apps, does not mean all of his Apps are universal, or all of his documents will open with Universal or Intel Apps. It is important to identify all the Apps and drivers used to verify whether or not they will move from G5 to Intel. Not all will if they are 10.5 compatible. And Rosetta doesn't even support all PowerPC drivers either. So it is vital we know everything that creates essential documents before suggesting he make the move. Eazydraw and Intaglio for instance may open some Draw documents in Appleworks, but not all.

There is no Universal or Intel native counterpart for Appleworks Paint documents. Appleworks DB documents must be converted to command delimited or space delimited text documents before importing to no longer updated Bento, or more expensive Filemaker Pro. Upgrading to Intel is not for everyone.

G5 Power pc to Imac Intel

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.