Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A disk read error has occurred. Press ctrl+atl+del to restart.

Hi, I'm new to this and I have a problem. I needed space on my MacBook Air and I deleted some files and now when I start my mac it says a disk read error has occurred. I tried everything. Does anybody know how I can get back in? It would very much help. Please and thank you :)

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Dec 28, 2013 6:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2013 8:35 PM

Restart holding down cmd-r. When it boots into Recovery, reinstall the OS.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4718

29 replies

Dec 28, 2013 10:53 PM in response to Haval77

Are you running 10.9 or 10.6.5?

If you are running 10.6.5 as indicated on your profile, you are in the wrong place.

To boot that system, you will need the install DVD or USB stick (if no DVD drive). Whatever you removed damaged the system to the point that it will not boot. You must reinstall the OS from the Install DVD.

See here: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3910

You won't need to erase, but you will need the install media.

Dec 28, 2013 11:39 PM in response to Barney-15E

Um honestly I don't know what software I'm running I just picked one. I don't have the DVD. It can't play CDs anyways cause there's no slot. Idk it's cause I needed memory so I trashed some files. Then I turned off the laptop and restarted it it says a disk read error occurred. Press ctrl+alt+del to restart. I did that nothing worked, I hold command r, s, d, nothing is working. You know how to get around this?

Dec 29, 2013 6:56 AM in response to Haval77

Try restarting and hold down the Option key. That should bring up a screen where you can select which boot drive to use. Select the Macintosh HD.

You are currently booting into a broken Windows installation.

If you cannot select the Mac partition and successfully boot, and cmd-opt-r does not work either, then you will need to get the original install media for that Mac. It was probably on a small USB stick. White with an Apple on it.

Dec 29, 2013 12:01 PM in response to Haval77

You're all over the place with this version number, if it is 10.5 you will need an original set of Installation discs (get them from Apple) or you could buy a Snow Leopard (10.6) disc. Either way will work (buying 10.6 is simpler, and cheaper)

But as we do not know which version it is we are (once more) guessing.

A disk read error has occurred. Press ctrl+atl+del to restart.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.