Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you join clips in iMovie 10.0.1?

Is it possible to join clips in iMovie 10.0.1?

iMac

Posted on Dec 29, 2013 2:51 AM

33 replies

Dec 31, 2013 8:08 AM in response to GeeD

Geoff,

in the older versions of iMovie, you could right click (or control click) when two adjacent clips were highlighted, and there was an option to "join clips."

this was useful for cropping if you wanted to have the same crop or ken burns effect on two clips, you could connect them and apply the effect once. it's also useful for Picture in Picture if you want a series of clips to be in the same place - iMovie 10.0.1 doesn't allow me to resize multiple PIP clips at the same time, so it's very difficult to get them all to be the same size and position without merging them into a single clip.

I'm sure joining clips is useful for other things two. I'm frustrated that they took out this feature, and really confused as to why...

Dec 31, 2013 5:07 PM in response to n8banks

If you want to copy any adjustments from one clip to another or others you select the clip you want to copy from, Edit - Copy then select the clip/s you want to have the same adjustments and go Edit - Paste Adjustments and you can select which adjustment you want to copy. If you want two PIP s o be the same you copy from one, select the other/s and Paste Adjustmnets Cutaway Settings.

Geoff.

Jan 24, 2014 11:10 AM in response to Mr Dobbie

I've just updated to iMovie 10.0.1 and can't do a thing with it. I have 6 clips which I want to join. I select all 6 clips and when I go to "Modify" > "Join Clips" the choice isn't highlighted at all, so it is impossible to join my clips. Also, I can't find anywhere, where I can simply choose "Finalize" to publish my short film anywhere. It doesn't exist. My biggest mistake was to update to 10.0.1. I've wasted about 20 hours trying to join and/or finalize my short little clips, so iMovie 10.0.1 is totally useless.

Jan 24, 2014 11:25 AM in response to Andylang

Join clips only works for clips that were originally part of the same larger clip but have been split - its really more of a 'heal' instruction.

Why do you want to join your clips? This is exacly what iMovie will do when you share (export) your movie.

There is no need to finalise your project - just share it - you can still go back to it, make changes and share again.

The user interface of imovie 10 is much changed and you need to study the help information. The web version:

http://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.0/#

has a better search capability than the one accessed from within imovie.

You won't find most of the things you are familiar with in the same place as before.

Geoff.

May 2, 2014 3:03 PM in response to GeeD

One example where it becomes necessary to join clips is in time lapse video where you want a particular effect to take place over a duration of time that encompasses two separately shot clips.

Here's the example I'm currently dealing with:

I shot a time lapse video over the course of approximately three weeks. The camera did not run constantly over that time period. Rather, I recorded video only when necessary, so some of the clips are (say) 30 seconds long, while others are only a couple of seconds. In assembling a movie from all these clips I would like to join two or more clips, then apply the Ken Burns effect over that entire sequence of clips. This really can't be done in a smooth manner unless you are able to tell iMove "yeah, I know there are three separate clip segments, but please glue them all together because I'm going to use them as one clip."

Yes, I know I can join the clips using QuickTime or another application, but it's just a pain to constantly be going in and out of iMovie if I have a whole bunch of small clips that need to be stitched onto the start or end of longer clips.

Mar 30, 2015 5:07 PM in response to GeeD

Geoff,

I have iMovie 10.0.03. I have 6 clips I want to join together but the option of Join Clips is not highlighted either (as happened to Andy).

The reason I want to join the clips is... when I share my project, it exports only one of the clips. Wherever the cursor is, that´s the clip that gets exported. If I click outside the project so that the cursor is not over any of the clips, it will still export only the first clip!

How can I make it so that the entire project is shared?!!! Help!

Sofia

Can you join clips in iMovie 10.0.1?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.